of echoes and always

WOW that episode was so gay
post 2x12

Lena rolled over from the position on her side, turning to face the ceiling with her head on Kara's legs. She tilted her jaw up in Kara's direction, looking into familiar eyes as Kara stroked her hair. They had been on the couch in Lena's office for quite some time, and at some point between the explosion and now Lena had ended up as close to her as humanly possible.

A melody foreign to Lena had been hummed low in Kara's chest for what felt like decades -- but could have only been minutes -- as Kara comforted herself with the fact that Lena was in her lap, that she wasn't gone.

"Kara?" Lena was quiet, her voice almost timid.

"Hm?" Kara paused in her ministrations, turning her soft gaze to Lena's face as she formulated her next words. The exhaustion Lena emitted was palpable, terror from the previous few hours only just beginning to fade, fear replaced with dark lines under her eyes. Kara's hands had been in Lena's hair, running over her shoulder and collarbone, fingers tracing her jawline with a gentle touch as she reminded herself that Lena was still here, that Lena was still alive, that she was okay.

"Thank you." Lena's voice cracked as she reached up for Kara's face, cupping her cheek with a hand that was still shaking. "For saving me."

Kara began carding her fingers through Lena's hair again, echoes of Lena begging for Lillian not to hurt her, not to hurt either of them screaming in her mind. There were tears in her throat and a promise on her lips as she didn't even try to deny what Lena was insinuating.

"Always."

Feed a lonely alien and drop a comment, I hear they like potstickers.