xxviii: hurt

when dan finally arrived home, shivering and dusted with snow, it was almost midnight. he desperately hoped that his father wad too intoxicated to notice him coming in so late; his hand was still sore from their last encounter. every now and then it would throb sharply, reminding him of what he could not escape.

    "dan? is that you?"

    dan jumped before his eyes could discern the skinny figure on their couch.

    "adrian?"

    the shadow nodded, the light from the tv hitting him just right so that dan could see the smile on his face. but then his lips twisted horribly, gasping coughs shoving their way up his throat.

    "adrian? hey, are you okay?" dan rushed to the boy's side, slapping his back just like he'd been told to by his mother.

    "sorry," adrian said raggedly. 

    "it's fine," dan said in relief as adrian's breathing slowed. "you're fine."

    "where were you?"

    dan stuttered. "a-at a friend's, why?"

    "you're not out doing anything illegal, right?" adrian looked genuinely worried, eyes wide in concern.

    dan pulled his younger brother into a hug and ruffled his hair even though he knew how much adrian hated that. when dan pulled his hand away, several loose hairs laid across his palm. he quickly wiped them off, trying to pretend that nothing had happened. he couldn't face it. he couldn't face any of this.

    "nothing illegal, i promise." dan grinned.

    "nothing that will hurt you, either, right?" adrian asked earnestly.

    dan's thoughts flashed back to zoe. the way she looked with her face bathed in starlight. the way she scrunched her nose when she laughed, crinkling her freckled cheeks. her shaky hands and lilac purple sneakers. the squeeze he felt in his chest every time she smiled. the melodic sound of her voice when she read to him. the distance she seemed terrified to close between herself and others.

dan shook his head and looped an arm around adrian's shoulders, tugging him close.

"nothing that will hurt me."

a/n: sorry so short, feeling pretty crap today. also, i got my driver's permit, yay. please vote/comment/share :)

question of the day: favorite song? or one of your favorites? or just one you'd like to share?

i could never pick a favorite but one i've been loving lately is paper plane by scarlet avenue

comment yours below!