xlvii: sunset

it's a more than welcome surprise when phil and zoe show up at dan's house later that evening. dan was a little miffed by their disappearance earlier that day, but now was not the time for petty grudges; he was simply happy to have someone.

"hey," zoe said in a soft voice as he swung open the front door, her voice momentarily getting lost in the groan of the old hinges.

"hey." dan couldn't help himself. just seeing her made him smile.

"sorry about earlier," phil offered. "your dad was upset and stormed out, and then your mom asked us to leave. something about wanting it to be just family there."

little do they know, dan thought to himself, they're the closest thing i have to a family anymore.

"i get it," dan nodded. the ache in his chest was loosening with each passing moment. it was sure to come screaming back as soon as the hospital called with any information - good information was practically impossible - about adrian.

"he isn't well, is he?" she didn't have to say his name; it was all any of them were really thinking about.

dan shook his head. "i was actually just about to leave and head back to the hospital." he held up a scruffy-looking backpack that rattled in his hand. "adrian wanted some games from home. my parents have been arguing in their room for the past hour, and i don't think he should be alone right now."

"that's good," zoe said, and smiled.

"you guys can come, if you want."

"we'd love to," phil said.

dan pulled his front door shut, shouldered his brother's backpack, and took zoe's hand, not missing the sunset blush on her cheeks.

the sun sank into the clouds and together they set off in the direction of the hospital.

a/n: this is short and trash and i'm sorry. 

happy new year, guys <3