Chapter One

c h a p t e r o n e.
t h a t ' s w h a t i t h o u g h t.
m e l o d y r e a g a n.

As you've now probably guessed, I'm not just a normal person with a happy life, with happy friends, and a big happy family. I'm far from it actually. To start it off, I don't have a family. I have no brothers, no sisters, no aunts, no uncles, no grandparents and no parents. My parents died last year in an car 'accident'. And I emphasize accident because it was far from it.

My parents made a lot of money, they weren't billionaires or even millionaires, but they were wealthy, and I guess that made me wealthy too. They both worked for a society as spies who are trained and taught to capture criminals such as murderers and drug dealers. And due to it being a secret society, nobody knew about it except myself and the people involved. I never told anybody the truth about who my parents really were, and what they did, because that would mean the people who knew what they were capable of, would know where to find us. and in the end.. they did.

I had one friend, one best friend actually, her name was Alexandra Burley, or Alex as I liked to call her. She was the only person I could talk to after the what happened with my parents. She was the only person I trusted. She understood me and I understood her and together, we were indestructible. And yes, I know i'm saying 'were' as if it were in the past tense, and I'll explain why.

Alexandra moved schools three months after my parents died, not out of her own choice obviously, she had to move house due to her mother changing jobs. Before she left, she gave me a necklace that has one half of a small, silver heart, saying 'I love you' around the sides. Alex kept the other half that has the same inscription.

"Keep this to remember that I'll always be with you, I'm still your best friend and I always will be, I'm not letting you hurt alone. Forever and always."

Those are the exact words she said when clasping the necklace around my neck. I'll never forget it and I'll never forget her.
But as disappointing as it seems, shes already forgotten me.

Over the few months after she left, we called and texted each other every day, keeping up to date with how we're getting on in school and how I'm coping with my parents' death. I wasn't really coping but I kept that under-wraps.

"I've made so many great friends already!" She said.

"They're so amazing and caring!" She said.

"But they could never replace you." She said.

Then why do I feel so replaced?

Moving further down the timeline we spoke less, and texted less, she made excuses as to why she couldn't call.

"I have homework sorry!"

"My friends are going to a party and they invited me,"

"Sasha's coming over for a sleepover, sorry!"

Sasha is her new 'best friend', my replacement, or at least that's what I assumed as she only ever told me who Sasha was. So we lost touch, and we haven't spoken for six months. Leaving me to handle all my problems alone and with nobody to talk to.

Before everything happened, I had a boyfriend, who I adored dearly and loved him with everything I had. He told me he loved me too, and that to him, we were infinite. Together, we were inseparable, and the most iconic couple in school. His name was Dylan. Dylan Bradley. He wasn't captain of the football team or anything you would assume to be your 'clichè' type of boyfriend. He was a straight A student and always had a positive attitude. He wasn't a player, and he wasn't somebody you would point at and say,"you can tell he's a heartbreaker." He was the most caring and loving guy I had ever met. But little did I know, he'd be the one to break my heart.

Dylan and I were together for two years, we never fought, we always trusted each other and never had a bad thought about what the other person was doing when we weren't together. Due to our two year relationship, we wouldn't knock when going into one another's houses or call them before we do, we would just show up.

February the 5th 2016, I had just had an argument with my parents, it wasn't a usual thing so each time it was pretty serious, and particularly, after an argument, I would phone Dylan to calm me down and relieve my nerves. But this time he wasn't answering his phone, like he always does when I call.

I got worried, as any girlfriend would be, I thought he was in trouble and that something may have happened to him. So anxious as I was, I got in my car, drove to his house and walked in through the front door. He lived with his parents but seemingly they weren't there and the house was silent. I checked each room downstairs first and out the back garden, no sign of Dylan. I thought there might have been somebody in the house as I heard things falling and footsteps in Dylan's room. Being the protective girlfriend I am, I grabbed Dylan's fathers golf club and slowly made my way up the stairs. As I approached Dylan's room, the sounds stopped, and a strange moan-like echoes filled its place. Placing my hand on the handle, I hesitantly pushed it down and opened it just a little to see the horrific sight before my eyes. Dylan and Grace Gardener, my arch enemy, and the most gorgeous girl in school, were having an extremely heated kissing session and were stripped naked, apart from Dylan's trousers, that Grace had no trouble unzipping. I was filled with betrayal, hatred and hurt. Pushing the door open, I let Dylan see that I'd caught them, tears stinging my eyes.

"You.. You.. asshole! How could you do this to me? I've been the most loyal girlfriend to you and this is how you repay me?" I screamed

"He doesn't want you anymore." Grace smirked

"What are you doing Melody?!" Dylan snapped, anger written all over his face

"What am I doing?! What am I doing?!! I walked in to my boyfriends house and see him on the bridge of losing his virginity to the biggest slut in the school, and you're asking me what I'm doing?!" I scoffed, disgust dripping like venom from my words

"I'd rather lose it to her than you." he stated in a nonchalant manner

And with that, my heart smashed into thousands of tiny pieces, leaving me broken and miserable. I stormed out of the house crying uncontrollably and never looked at him the same way again.

And now? Now I'm more lost and broken than I've ever been in the whole 17 years of my life.

edited