11.

The nurse pushing my wheelchair continues talking above my head as I resist the urge to turn and face her. It feels so strange, talking to someone standing behind you. She doesn't seem to mind at all, as she drones on. I nod my head politely as we near the patient pick up area.

A handsome brunette leans against a small car, holding the door to the passenger seat open for me. He runs a hand through his unkempt brown hair, and gives me a smile as our eyes meet.

"Your husband sure is a cutie," the nurse chuckles barely out of earshot from the before mentioned.

I nod, not wanting to go through the same long winded explanation I gave the other nurse, "He is," I say, returning his smile as we stop in front of him.

I take a peak inside the car, which I was bleeding in just the night before. To my dismay, it's clean. Spotless even. Somehow he managed to clean the blood, without even a stain, and still be at the side of my bed when I woke. Maybe he's more reliable than I give him credit. Maybe he's responsible enough to-

"Ready?" He asks me, bringing my attention back to the present instead of overthinking as usual. I nod, although I have no clue what I'm submitting myself to.

He jolts up, his height towering over me in my seated position, and suddenly his arms lift me from the chair. My feet dangle limply from his muscular limbs, and he softly lowers me into the passenger seat. He leans over me, our faces inches apart, then clicks in my seatbelt.

He lingers for a moment, as if he's contemplating wether or not to kiss me, then pulls away, closing the door behind him. I let out the breath I hadn't realize I was holding, and watch as he thanks the nurse who was helping me. I can't hear their voices, but I assume he is as charming as usual, because the nurse is blushing afterwards. Shaking my head, I wait for him to join me in the car.

Once they're done talking, he rounds the car, opens the door, and plops down beside me.

"Excited to be leaving?" He smirks, turning the key in the ignition.

"I want to see my kid," I chuckle, "First day in years I've gone without him."

"Never had a day off, family never watched him-"

"They've never met Seiji," I cut him off, staring out the window as we pull away from the curb. Truth is I hadn't even thought about them in months, I tried to ignore the way my Mom cut me off, which had worked, up till now.

"Oh," he mumbles awkwardly, "Want to pick up some ice cream for Seiji?"

I nod, grateful for the change of subject. It's not that I don't want to be connected to my family, or have one, it's just that Seiji is the only  family I have. And for now it's enough. Or at least I used to think so.

I watch Tooru as he drives, his cautious eyes remaining on the road. The radio plays the same old pop song that's been on all week, and I listen as Tooru hums quietly to himself.

"You'd be a good Dad," I say, before covering my mouth and praying he didn't hear it.

"Then why haven't you told me anything?" He smirks, though I know he's being serious. He shifts slightly, like he's waiting to catch something else that slips out of my mouth on accident.

I shrug my shoulders, as my arm reaches for the dial to turn down the music. His eyes flicker to me for a moment before looking at the yellow light ahead of us.

"Tooru I'm scared, and I know you want me to change that in an instant but it's hard," a pause for a moment, silence filling the car, "I've already taken a few major blows, pregnant at 18, no family. And I guess trying to start over and the possibility of it going wrong are scary."

"I'm scared too," his hands tighten on the wheel, "I'm scared of how much it will change everything, and what if you get tired of me and take Seiji-"

I nod, because I'm terrified of the same things, "And there are so many other things, where do we live, will I still go to school, what if we disagree on how to raise him."

"We would just deal with that as it comes up," he smiles to himself as we pull up to the ice cream parlor, "I'll go in, it'll be hard for you to get in and out."

"Okay."

••••

"Mommy!" Seiji shouts, running up and tugging on Tooru's pants leg. He looks so happy he's almost crying, and for a moment so do I.

Tooru walks to my bedroom, gently laying me on the bed, as Seiji clambers up after me.

"You have to be gentle," Tooru warns, "Or your Mommy will get hurt."

Seiji nods, saluting Tooru, as he curls up next to me. Tooru sits on the edge of the bed, as Iwaizumi steps into the room.

"You're alive." He smiles, leaning against the door frame.

"So I am," I return his smile, brushing Seiji's hair with my fingers, "Thank you for watching him."

"I'd gladly do it again," he chuckles, "I put the ice cream in the freezer, and I can go get us dinner if we want."

"Please Iwa-chan!" Oikawa exclaims, his mouth probably watering at the thought.

"Can I go!?" Seiji asks, jolting up.

"You don't want to stay here with your Mom?" Iwaizumi asks him.

"I want to go out!" He answers, jumping out of the bed, "Love you Mommy!" He shouts, running to his room.

I laugh as Iwaizumi looks over to me, "Is it alright if I take him?"

"As long as he's back in one piece," I tell him, resting my head back on the pillows, and pulling the blankets around me. I'd missed the comfort of my own bed more than I realized. It's only been a single day, but being away from Seiji made it seem much longer.

"I'll stay with you," Tooru grins, his hands pulling the blankets tighter around me, "Just incase you need help getting up or something."

"Like that's the only reason," Iwaizumi laughs, walking out of the room, and leaving both of us blushing messes.