33.

The bed shifts beside me, as Tooru finally returns. I look over to the clock on my nightstand, realizing it's almost three. I must have dozed off after he left, despite my attempts to stay awake to see him again.

I reach my hand out towards him, trying to maneuver in the darkness, but when my hand reaches what feels like his arm, he recoils from my touch, as if I've scared him. He relaxes, settling down beside me, as I scoot closer to him, his arm wrapping around my waist as he pulls me against him. His chest rises and falls against my back, his breathing low and even as we stay in silence.

"Where'd you go?" I ask quietly, my heart beating faster as I await his answer.

"Just on a walk," he mumbles into my hair, his words ruffling the wispy strands on the back of my head.

"Oikawa-"

"Goodnight (F/N)," he says gently, giving me a light squeeze before exhaling and shifting away from me slightly.

I sit up in bed, my eyes finding the outline of his figure laying down beside me. I suck in a breath, dangling my legs over the side of the bed, before placing them on the cold wooden floor. I creep out of the room, heading to Seiji's bedroom down the hall. As I enter, the door creaks quietly, revealing a room cluttered with toys. I shut it soundly behind me, careful not to step on the various books and plastic cars covering the floor, and make my way towards the bed. I place myself down on it gently, turning over to Seiji. Light from the window above us shines onto the toddlers face, illuminating his features which seem to mirror his father's more and more each day. I remain perched beside him, watching the rise and fall of his chest as he continues dreaming.

I smile to myself as I stare at his wavy brown hair, noting the cow licks which have spurred even this far into the night. I smooth them out with my fingers, but it hardly makes the situation better. I stifle a laugh as I watch the stray hairs bounce back into place, and I lay down beside him, careful not to move the bed too much.

"I love you," I whisper into the pillow, shutting my eyes, as I begin to drift off.

•••

"Mom," Seiji squeaks shaking me gently awake. My eyes open to find him laying on my stomach, his hands each placed on my shoulders, as he continues to nudge me, "Where's Dad?"

I give him a shrug as I sit up, wrapping my arms around him in a hug. He squirms away, still wanting an answer to his question. It's Saturday, and he's grown accustomed to waking up to his Father making breakfast, or taking him out early to go pick something up.

"I'll call him," I assure Seiji, placing him on my hip as I stand up. I wander back to my own bedroom, picking up my phone from its place beside the bed. I dial Tooru's number quickly, as we await his answer.

"Hello?" Tooru responds, his voice sounding worried.

"Where are you?" I ask, masking my confusion.

"I'm almost home," he answers, "I went out to get breakfast."

"Without me!?" The toddler pipes, as I hush him.

"Sorry," Tooru sighs, "He was sleeping with you so I figured he wouldn't want to leave."

"Oh," I nod, as Seiji looks bothered, "See you soon then."

"Yeah," he replies flatly, as I end the call, and put my phone away.

"There you have it Seiji," I smile, "Everything's alright."

He nods slowly, still confused by the way the mornings unfolded so far. He motions for me to put him down, and I oblige, as he takes off, running out of the room. I follow behind him, watching as he heads down the stairs towards the front door. He stands there eagerly awaiting the return of his father, and I don't bother telling him have patience, because I'm lacking it as well.

When the door finally opens, Seiji burts into a grin, and runs straight into his father's legs, wrapping his arms around them just below Oikawa's knees. The older of the two brings a hand down to the toddlers head, patting it gently before removing his shoes, and scooping him up. When he looks over to me, his eyes meet mine, but quickly drop my gaze, making him look ashamed. I remain standing in the kitchen doorway, as he crosses the living room to join me.

He gives me a light kiss on the cheek, before handing a brown paper bag over to me. I open it to see all of the breakfast sweets he knows I love, a form of an apology, which I'm not sure is enough to excuse his actions from last night. I thank him kindly, before doling them out to Seiji, allowing him to have his pick first.

"I'm sorry (F/N)," Tooru murmurs, his hand finding mine, "I shouldn't be acting like this."

I nod in agreement, taking a bite out of the pastry in my hand, which stops me from having to reply verbally.

"I was just overwhelmed that's all," he explains, his eyes searching mine for forgiveness. My face warms as I finish off the food in my mouth, and place a kiss on his cheek.

"I'm overwhelmed too," I assure him, bringing a hand to his cheek, "It's not  something to handle lightly."

"I still should have done better," he argues, clicking his tongue as he chastises himself.

I shake my head firmly as I run a thumb along his jaw, "It's been done, don't worry about it now."

He gives me a nod, his expression softening as a smile begins to emerge at last.