Chapter 3: Sorting through Memories

For this chapter, bold is Nico's thoughts, italics is sorting hat thoughts, and bold italics is memories. And sorry but this chapter's a short one.

We enter the great hall and everyone looks around astonished. Everyone, that is, except for me. My father's palace is much more impressive. I wonder how they will sort us. The witch from before sets down an old hat on a stool, which then proceeds to sing an unsusual song. The witch, McGonagall, unravels a scroll and yells to us.

"When I call your name, you will come forth and put the sorting hat on your head and you will be sorted into your houses."

"I heard it reads your minds and looks through your memories." Ron whispers.

Reads our thoughts and looks through our memories? No no no. This is worse than the boats! I'm hiding too much! What if it says everything out loud? Luckily, the people in front of me, no matter how long the hat takes, it never peeps a word past the house the person belongs in. Finally, 'di Angelo, Nico' is called and I walk up to the front and put on the hat. Nervous, not for what house I'll get, but what the hat will see.

Ah, the hat says in my mind. A half blood. Yes, yes. I know what you are. It's been a while since I sorted one of your kind. Let's see. Not selfish, but cunning and sly when needed, so slytherin is a possibility. Your loyalties are often questioned, and you can be quite ruthless, so no, not hufflepuff. Very brave, but sometimes not the most honourable, Gryffindor is a small maybe. Smart? Yes. Smart in the Ravenclaw way? No. Gryffindor, or Slytherin. Let's take a quick peek into your memories to find out, shall we?
No.
Oh, but you have no choice. Let's see.
It was the 1940's, we were in the hotel. I was reliving the day my mother died. Bianca and I were playing tag, running around in the lobby, oblivious to our mother and father arguing. Then suddenly we were covered in a dome of shadows while the bolt struck, killing her. Our mother, gone for good.
Hm, not much to look at here, next memory!
We were being carried by the fury Alecto, towards a white river. Bianca was screaming and whimpering, begging her not to do this. I was fighting her, kicking and punching, threatening to kill her, and curse her with everything in the world. I look enraged, for a ten year old. As we pass over the river, Alecto drops us in, erasing our memories.
Hmmm. This is a bit more helpful, how about some more?
NO!
I was running to the big house, exited to see Percy and Bianca. They had just came back from the quest. I burst through the doors, but Bianca isn't here.
"Where's Bianca?" I ask, looking around.
Percy takes a walk with me and explains to me, Bianca is dead. He gives me a little statue. Hades. I scream at him, call him a liar. When the skeletons attack, I can't let them hurt Percy, no matter how much I hated him. I caused a chasm in the floor, sending them straight to Tartarus. After that I ran. I ran and didn't look back. Swearing to kill Percy Jackson. Or even better, throw him into the fields of punishment or Tartarus for what he did.
I think that's enough. Five minutes is an extremely long time to be sorted.
It breaths in, why do hats need to breath?

SLYTHERIN!