Chapter 9: Christmas

Nico pov
I walk down the slope of half blood hill and hear shouts below. I look up and see two boys running towards me.

"Death breath!" They yell, trying to tackle me before I push them away via shadows.

"Hello Stolls." I grin slightly at the sight of the ridiculous brothers trying to stand up. They look like twins, but Travis is older by a couple years and is a few inches taller. "Merry Christmas to you."

They run off yelling something about a spider in a Christmas sweater, when I hear a twig snap behind me. I don't have time to do anything before a Christmas sweater is jammed over my head.

"Jackson I swear." I hiss, blushing from embarrassment. I'm glad the sweater is hiding my face. I pull it down because that's the only direction I can shift my arms.

"Hey Nico! Where've you been?" Percy asks.

"That's confidential information. I'm on a quest for Hades but I get a Christmas break, so I'm staying for a week." I reply, trying to sound my usual neutral tone.

I go to my cabin, leaving Percy behind. I'm still not a huge fan of the "hero", even though I told him I forgive him for... Bianca's death. I reach the Hades cabin and see that someone has strung a line of what looks like real balls of fire on my cabin. They light up the area and melt some snow, but nothing catches. Black, to match my cabin, and green, to match the the torches of hellfire. I get into my cabin and collapse on my familiar bed, no matter how vampire-ish they are, it's comforting.

After laying there for about an hour, I go look in the mirror in the washroom. The sweater is black with little skulls on it. At least someone has good taste in clothes. I pull it off and take off my jacket. I walk outside and to the arena. I don't mind the cold, I never have. There is only a small amount of snow inside camp, about a centimetre has been allowed to fall. When I get to the arena, I grab my sword off my necklace and start to hack at the dummies. I get tired and sore quickly, I've been out of practice. I collapse on a bench and take a drink of water.

I sense a presence. I look towards it and see a small child, about eight years old.

"What do you want?" I ask.

"Who are you? When did you come to camp? I haven't seen you before." She says.

"Nico di Angelo, son of hades and the ghost king. And I don't usually stay at camp. Now go away before I decide to practice my sword some more."

The girl squeaks and runs away. I see a dagger hanging from her belt, the mark of Hermes engraved in the handle. I should have known. Hermes kids are alway poking around in things they shouldn't.

I frown, something feels off. Then with a start, I realize something strange. I'm hungry. I go to the dining pavilion and grab a pomegranate from the tray of fruit. When I finish that, I eat an apple. I drink some pomegranate juice and I'm full. Wow, that was weird. I glance at the bulletin board and see a flyer there.

I decided to participate, nothing better to do

I decided to participate, nothing better to do. I looked down. There was a Santa hat hanging to the board. I reached in and pulled out a name.

Percy Jackson.

Ugh, Percy. At least it should be easy to find him a gift. Speaking of gifts, I should get my wizarding friends presents as well.

                                                                        Ω

After shadow traveling to New York, I went into a shop. It was one of my favourites, hot topic. I picked out a ton of mcr buttons and CDs for Percy, I also got some fingerless gloves for Harry, and a set for me too. Afterwards, I went to a normal shop. Name, don't know, don't care. I bought about five books for Hermoine, as well as a few muggle sweets. For Ron I got an electric guitar that I would ask Hecate cabin to cast a shrinking/growing spell on it kinda like my sword, and of course some sweets too. I also bought sweets for Harry as well.

After that was done, I got them all wrapped in shiny black wrapping paper. I know, a little gothic, but whatever. I shadow traveled back to camp and put the gifts in my cabin before passing out on my bed from the shadow travel.

                                                                        Ω

"Nico! Wake up!"

I groan. "Who in Hades is waking me up at this hour?"

"Nico, you've slept for two days, today is Christmas Eve." The person, who I could now tell was Percy, woke me up.

I bolt upright, "Two days?" I'm shocked, shadow travel doesn't usually tire me out that much. Though I suppose I haven't really slept properly for a while. I quickly get up, grab my gifts, and run to my owl perch. Cerberus is there, waiting patiently. I have found out that Cerberus is funnily enough one of the real Cerberus's cousins or whatever, making this owl super strong and fast. They should be able to deliver all the presents in one go, so long as they get some food and water at each stop. I quickly write a note telling them this.

Friends,
Merry Christmas! Do not open the gifts till tomorrow. Don't worry, I'm not mistreating my owl, they are some sort of magical breed that can do long heavy loads so long as they get food and water each stop. Please provide them with that, and take the present with your name on it. Please give this note back to my owl when they are about to depart, so the next person receives the message. Again, merry Christmas!
Sincerely,
Nico di Angelo

I gave the owl the letter and told him who to go to. I look through the packages one last time to make sure I'm not missing any. When I see I'm not, I secure them, open the window, and watch Cerberus fly away. I pick up Percy's present and walk to the circle of people who are gathering for the gift exchange. An iris camper with purple eyes counts down and on one we all swap presents. I pass mine to Percy, and receive one from a blond, curly haired, blue eyed Apollo camper. I think I've seen him in the infirmary before. I open the pastel paper and find a little black box. Inside is a black guy liner pencil (is that what it's called because idk), a flask of nectar (typical of a healer, I smirk at this), and a pack of mythomagic cards (which I smile slightly at but am internally fangirling). I thank him, he somehow knew what I like, though the makeup is new.

By the time everyone finishes opening and squealing over their presents, it's time for dinner. I sit down at the Hades table, and actually eat more than a fruit or two. I eat a bit of turkey, a scoop of mashed potatoes, and eggnog. Feeling stuffed even though I ate less than a quarter of what everyone ate. I went to my cabin and fell asleep just as the curfew gong rang.

Ω

When I wake up I have one thought, it's Christmas. I sit up and see a pile of presents at the bottom of my bed. I quickly grab the top one, wrapped in blue. It's from Percy and he got me CDs of my favourite bands like MCR and Panic! At the disco. A gift from Annabeth is wrapped in silver and it's books on the underworld, as well as a few drachma and a note saying to iris message them more often. I get a burgundy wrapped one from Ron, sweets and a book about how to sleep better. From Harry, more sweets and a black choker. From Hermoine, a notebook that won't let anyone but the owner read the words written in it. That'll be handy.

I go into the wash room, change, put on the choker, applied the eye liner, and pulled on the fingerless gloves. I step back to inspect what I look like and am surprised, I look good. Good, that is, in an edgy, scary way. I smirk, I head out and try to enjoy the festivities.

Anyone who can guess who the blond, curly haired, blue eyed son of Apollo from the infirmary who gave Nico his present gets virtual blue cookies!