008. of hands

EIGHTi wish i didn't want you bad

EIGHT
i wish i didn't want you bad.

◦ ❁ ◦

"EVERYTHING CHANGED WHEN THE BIRDS CAME, OR MAYBE IT WAS WHEN YOU LEFT ME."

          Adalia arrived at an impasse with beanie boy, her eyes narrowed at his stoic expression. He raised his eyebrows, almost smug at how he vexed her. For a girl so adamant about making sure others feared her and trembled at the mention of her name, she made quite the friend. (Though, if Jughead's inner thoughts were ever revealed to anyone but himself, he would deny any and every account of ever calling this girl a friend.)

          Alas, he blinked.

          "Now that you understand your place," said she, winking at him discreetly as she gathered her things, "I'm gonna go. Since you are so hellbent on not hanging out with Archie yet, I'm afraid you can't come with me."

He shrugged, unfazed, and she smiled knowingly, pecking his cheek lightly before hopping up from her spot at the table. Determined to make sure Betty knew for a fact of her attempting to change (anyone else at that table was just another obstacle in her way of getting what she wanted), she practically skipped over to them. Betty's bubbly manner had begun to rub off on her, she noticed.

          "Hey, Betty!" she greeted.

          She then proceeded to nudge Kevin to the side so that she could sit between him and the blonde. Veronica exchanged a look with the boy, both equally as puzzled with how Adalia had completely ignored their existence. Her eyes drifted to Archie and she grinned at the blush on his cheeks that had appeared when she arrived. She noticed the guitar in his hand and her grin widened.

          "You wanna play something for us, Archibald?"

          Veronica plastered on a fake smile, her hands wrapped tightly around her coffee. "I was just about to ask him that. Any new material you wanna try out on a very forgiving audience, Archie?"

          "I'm still working on the lyrics, so. . ." his voice drifted off and exchanged a nervous glance with Adalia. She was just as unbothered as Jughead in their conversation prior to her appearance and shrugged, part of her only wanting to hear the boy sing so that the awkwardness between those at the table would cease.

          "I'm really sorry, Betty," she muttered under her breath as Archie began to sing, her voice soft enough so that no one else could hear but loud enough so that her target could. The blonde turned her head briefly, surprised. "I've said it a lot already, but I really am."

          Betty sent her a grateful smile, reaching under the table to grasp her hand in hers. That action was enough for her to understand that her apology had gone through and she let out a breath of relief, acknowledging Betty by squeezing her hand back.