009. of pride

NINEfor the man that i hate, i'm going to hell

NINE
for the man that i hate, i'm going to hell.

◦ ❁ ◦

"FORGIVE ME, FATHER, FOR I HAVE SINNED WITH RED LIPS AND SWEATY PALMS."

          Adalia sat next to Archie on a couch in the student's lounge at their school, her head placed on his shoulder as her eyes trained on Betty. The blonde appeared to be unaffected by the obvious display of affection the two were sharing, but Adalia knew that she was cursing the ginger in her mind, however sweet her mask may have been.

          She purposefully hadn't gone to Betty's house the day before in efforts of letting her befriend Cheryl all on her own. Judging by the texts the Blossom girl had sent her that morning, she was a hundred percent sure their interaction had ended in destruction.

          "What's up?" asked Archie, his arm loosely draped across her shoulders.

          Adalia melted his concerns away with a smile, and he found himself staring at her lips. She, knowing this, curled them up and shook her head, patting the boy on the cheek.

          "You are way too nice for your own good, Archibald," she stated, voice soft so that only he could hear her words. "It's a shame, really. If I weren't into girls, I would be all over you."

          He rolled his eyes, pulling her back to his side playfully, which caused her to let out a laugh. Betty's attention was drawn to them for the second time — this time, however, a smile was on her face as well. As much as she would have loved to have Adalia all to herself, she was getting along great with her friends (with an exception for Kevin and Veronica for reasons Betty both knew and was keeping quiet). It warmed her heart, truly.

          "Sheriff Keller's grinding me, Mantle the Magnificent," said Reggie, a jock Adalia hadn't spoken to since the night of the dance, "'cause I'd want Blossom dead when he was, like, the only good quarterback we had."

          Adalia made a face, just then realizing why she had avoided him after the dance. She pushed herself off of Archie, who resorted to just placing his hand on her arm to make sure she didn't advance toward the boy.

          "He wasn't just a jock, asshole."

          Reggie ignored her comment and proceeded to toss the football in his hand to his first target: Moose, another football player Adalia hadn't spoken to in a while; "And speaking of offensive tight-ends, I should've sent the cops to you, Moose, because here's another unsolved mystery: what exactly were you and Kevin doing at the river, huh? Or does being with the Sheriff's son give you a pass? —Keller?"

          "Reggie's just being a blowhard, Kev," Betty assured her best friend.

          "I mean, let's think about it," he began once again, much to everyone else's dismay. Adalia groaned, bringing a bright smile to Betty's face despite the tense atmosphere in the room. "If a kid at Riverdale killed Jason, it's not gonna be a jock, right? Wouldn't it make so much more sense if it was a rich girl who was close to Jason? Like, I don't know, Adalia?"