019. of change

NINETEENshe ain't worth saving

NINETEEN
she ain't worth saving.

◦ ❁ ◦

"I'M PAINTED A VILLAIN, SO MAYBE THAT MEANS I'LL NEVER FALL IN LOVE."

Nothing was right. Everything had been thrown into a shitstorm and the mighty sword of Adalia's reign was lost amidst the rubble. She had thought her father had killed Jason for the longest time, a doubt that had her losing friends left and right, so what was stopping her from going to the sheriff's station to confess?

The sins may not have been hers but the reminder certainly was, hanging above her crown of thorns with a sinister smile.

Jughead's tossed bracelet from the night before stared her in the eyes and she had to fight her inner demons to keep it hidden away, locking it up in a chest that held the emotions she wouldn't dare let out. It rested beside her father's lost memories, wrapped around his class ring. Her bottom lip quivering, she kept Toledo in mind as she walked to the sheriff's station.

Sheriff Keller, the light from his badge burning a hole straight through Adalia's chest, didn't seem to question why she was sitting in front of him with a nonchalant expression.

"Legally, I'm supposed to have an adult here with you, y'know," he said, pressing his lips together.

Adalia licked her lips, tasting Betty's familiar mango lip balm on the tip of her tongue. She had taken it from her one night when she'd lost her own and, since then, it was a constant reminder of their growing bond. Though, she was sure the events that were to come would change that — and not for the better.

"I think my dad killed Jason Blossom."

The sheriff, unnerved, gave her a sigh and glanced toward the clock. "There isn't time for baseless theories, Blue. Please don't speak until I get your mom. Just . . . give me a second."

He pushed himself off his chair and didn't spare her another glance as he walked up to the door of his office. His fingers barely curled around the knob when Adalia shot up, her eyes wide. She rested her shaking hands behind her back and blurted out:

"Ingrid Newton was there with me. We heard him talk to someone about killing Jason."

He didn't turn, barely seemed phased, and Adalia furrowed her brows when he shook his head. His actions were halted for a mere second, enough for him to speak once more, but he still did not turn. It made Adalia suspicious, the girl knowing that he was hiding something from her for sure. Somehow, her mother was involved in it as well, and she had no doubt the Blossoms were intertwined with this strange scheme.

"I'm gonna get Marjorie. Don't move before I get back, alright?"

Adalia clenched her fists behind her back and plopped back down on the seat in annoyance, her bottom lip forced under her teeth. Now, the man finally turned his head to spare her a glance before he left, guilt in his heart.