021. of finality

TWENTY-ONEwe were almost perfect

TWENTY-ONE
we were almost perfect.

◦ ❁ ◦

"I CARRY A CONFESSION SPREAD BY SERPENT TONGUE, EXPOSED BY POISONS BEYOND MY CONTROL."

Betty sat in silence, trying to take it all in. She was in shock (understandably so, considering Adalia had dumped all her deepest secrets to her in a good two minutes), and had little to no idea how to form the words that accumulated in her head.

"Wh—?" she stopped herself. Perhaps barging in with a plethora of unanswerable questions wasn't the best way to handle their situation. "Adalia, I don't—" understand.

The question Betty should have been asking herself was Why? — Why was she having such a hard time confronting the girl she had confided in so many times before? Why, now, were the words unable to form themselves?

"It all makes sense, okay?" Adalia muttered softly, refusing to meet her eyes. She was too scared that she would crumble if she did. "He never liked Jason anyway. He always said he was a waste of a life and knew he would screw up one day. . . ." Her breath hitched and she had to completely turn around to get her next words out; "So he killed him."

It was quiet.

          It got incredibly silent, and Betty found herself pitying the woman she loved. With everything else going on in her life, now Adalia had to deal with the fact that her best friend was most likely murdered by his father, and it wasn't fair in the slightest bit.

          Adalia could sense the discomfort radiating in her room and she sighed, turning around to face Betty two feet closer to her than she was before. The blonde moved with such agility that Adalia could barely sense her presence as she stepped closer and closer. It stayed quiet, but this time it was significantly less uncomfortable than before.

          Betty took her hands in hers and pressed gentle kisses onto her knuckles, causing tears to spring to Adalia's eyes. She slowly grazed her arms, savoring the goosebumps that rose on her skin, until she got to the nape of her neck.

          "I. . ." she trailed off, peppering her jaw with kisses.

          Adalia held her breath, too diseased with sadness to tell Betty to stop and go home. Because that's what Betty should have done: gone home. Adalia couldn't tell her the truth, not all of it at least, and it wasn't exactly the best position to be in.

          So as Betty moved her lips to the corner of her mouth, she made no move to hinder her actions. Instead, Adalia gently placed her hands on both sides of her face and kissed her.