3; incendia

||act one||

"what do you mean you quite literally opened a portal to another dimension? how and why is enzo even there?"

bonnie had arrived knocking at cora's small home earlier in the morning, prior to cora even having the chance to consume any meager bite of breakfast.

"i'm not sure, my meeting with cade revealed rather interesting things," bonnie muttered to herself while aimlessly twisting a piece of her brunette locks. cora sat across from her friend rather appalled as she came to the troubling conclusion bonnie has gone through with her plan of confronting cade.

"i still can't believe you did that. you could have come to me? i may not know much about psycho mind control but ka-," cora froze before she grasped the opportunity to mention his name as her daughter was lounging a few feet away and would be sure to ask questions, "kai, taught me a thing or two about these types of things." cora winced at the mention of her deceased love's name and took a deep breath before continuing on with the interaction.

"i know, i know, but i just though tha-," bonnie was soon cut off by the girl sitting opposite her who voiced the quite harsh opinion of her own.

"you weren't thinking bonnie!" the comfortable conversation had taken a rather unfortunate turn as cora's force, corrupt answer had broken it and left the shattered piece sprawled in the air surfeited with tension.

"i'm sorry." bonnie's words were fragile and trembling, and cora was afraid if she were to utter another word to the girl she would devastate the ex witch in front of her beyond repair.

"no, bon, i'm sorry. i-i shouldn't have been so harsh," cora breathed her apologetic words out in a heavy sigh as she extended her hand to her bare face and rubbed her aching temples gently, in any desperate attempt to alleviate the stress she had been under for the near last four years that seemed to have dragged on.

bonnie bennett reached out more than willingly and enveloped cora forbes into a warm hug she knew they both needed more than they were willing to admit to one another, let alone anyone outside of their close bond.

cora turned her head as she heard footfalls make their way towards the pair in unison. emerson stumbled her way over to her mom and curled in her lap almost immediately, tired from her time coloring over in the corner. cora took to stroking the toddler's brunette wispy pieces of hair and continued her deep conversation with the former bennett witch aside her.

"so, about the mystical world you created after enzo and all of that," cora's words attempting to redirect the conversation to the prior subject trailed off as she assumably pondered what words could be utilized to describe the place bonnie's pure anguish had formed.

"enzo's there, and.. and i can summon him?" bonnie's words held a certain essence of a question to it as her green eyes slowly became downcast. cora was able to read bonnie well enough to know and understand the pain coursing through bonnie's veins at that very moment.

the two friends sat beside each other fell into a simple, comfortable silence, the latter preparing coffee for the former. emerson sat content in her aunt bonnie's arms, chatting with her about nonsense. that is, until, one word escaped the young toddler's upturned lips that caused her brunette haired mother to drop the coffee mug grasped in her hand.

"incendia."

the porcelain mug clattered upon the worn, brown wooden floors and glass shards flew accordingly. cora forbes's pale blue eyes widened and her hand flew to her mouth. a small yet monumental flame had been lit within a lone candle's wick across the room. emerson smirked in unparalleled delight and clapped her small hands together. the evident smile growing on her youthful face emulated her amazement at her newfound trick.

"bwonnie look!" emerson grabbed her aunt's hand and pointed it at the flickering white flame apparent across the room. bonnie's confusion and timidness was evident on her face as she looked down at the young girl situated in her arms.

"what did you just say baby?" emerson questioned her daughter softly, believing she had heard emerson's words incorrect. she turned her head delicately from her spot in the kitchen, awaiting the answer from her daughter with bated breath.

"incen-" emeron' calm reply to her mother was quickly denied as bonnie shot her hand out, enclosing it over the girl's small mouth, her first reflex that had come to mine, only to remove it swiftly a second later.

cora rushed over, ignoring the pile of shards lying haphazardly across her kitchen floor. she grabbed emerson's small hands quickly within that of her own and locked her blue eyes upon those of her daughter's.

"honey listen when i say this, very carefully. where did you hear that word?" cora's worry spread across the lines on her face as she leveled her eyes with emerson's bright ones.

"daddy told it to me in my dream!" emerson told her mother, giggling at the sight of her mother's horrified face. she had never been told the story of her father, and cora had been more than careful to keep it that way.

"wh-what did your daddy look like?" cora's eyes welled up and fully took her daughter from bonnie's shaking arms. emerson whined softly but reluctantly settled in cora's enveloping arms.

"dwaddy had dark bwon hair like me! bwue eyes, but they didn't look like mwine." emerson jutted her chin in thought as she pondered the memories surfacing from her dream the prior night. "he told me not to be swared and said he was my dwaddy." emerson told her mother the words strongly, not removing her blue eyes from her face.

"bonnie, call caroline?"

"definitely"

and with a nod of a head, the conversation had floated into the air and tainted both cora and bonnie's minds with worry.

a/n

short but eventful??