8; i promise

||act one||

"i was going to tell you, kai. i just had to find the right moment."

"i believe you," was all kai spoke as he gently set the framed picture in his hands back on the side table. his gaze remained locked on the floor with thoughts of his young daughter swirling through his head. he was facing his biggest fear; fatherhood. what if he screwed it up? he was determined to break the cycle of abuse his father had began all those years ago, he made a promise to her the second he saw her picture, but that isn't to say he's never broken a promise to ones he loves before.

"her name is emerson parker forbes, she's three, almost four, and adores playing outside and exploring nature." cora quietly allowed her words to drift into the inviting air, telling kai about their daughter he had yet to meet. she allowed him his time to soak up all of the new information as she decided how to handle the situation correctly.

cora knew it was only fair kai met emerson, his daughter, but she was conflicted if this new version of kai would protect and love her, instead of hurt her.

kai nodded in acknowledgement of her comment, and walked back over to cora with shaky steps. worry radiated off of the gemini coven leader.

"i understand, uh, if you don't think i should meet her yet, cora. i respect your decision," kai spoke spoke hesitantly. he knew in his heart it was ultimately not his decision whether or not he should meet his little girl yet, though he desperately hoped deep within his heart that cora would allow him the chance.

"i think you should. she's gone too long without her father," cora spoke softly, a small smile creeping into her face. her decision had come to her easier than she thought it would, because as soon as she saw the look on kai's face, the reluctance look encased in hope, she knew. cora knew kai was dangerous, but she also knew he would never hurt their child.

"okay," kai spoke, taking a deep breathe in as preparation. any attempt to qualm his raging fears was failing, much to his eminent displeasure. once he saw his daughter, however, it would all be worth it. all of the pain he had endured for countless years would wash away and float into nothingness.

"caroline, you can come down now!" cora had suspected caroline had been waiting at the top of the stairs, letting emerson sleep instead of waking her up. no doubt she was listening in on their conversation, as well.

"do you want me to bring her with me?" caroline's distant and reluctant reply fluttered down the stairs. cora knew exactly who caroline was speaking of immediately.

"that's kinda the point, care," cora chuckled and walked over to the bottom of the stairs to receive her daughter. she noticed kai was pacing in the living room still and called him over, "you know you can come with me, right?"

"i, uh, yeah. i'll be there in a minute, cora," kai replied with uncertainty prevalent in his wavering voice. his flight or fight response was kicking in, but he knew he couldn't run away from his daughter now, or he might never have the chance to see her ever again, and that was an option he was less than willingly to entertain.

"okay, sure thing." cora knew kai to be rather impulsive, and this reluctant side of him surprised him greatly, though she knew the fact that he had a child was enough to make anyone hesitant. cora realized then, how much this truly would affect kai. family was something he was not familiar with, and he must have been terrified he would screw it all up. his own childhood was a touchy subject, and having a child of his own would most likely scare him out of his mind.

"actually, sis, can you wait one minute?" contradicting her earlier statement, she knew she had to speak to kai beforehand, to reassure him all would be well.