6; you're not that important

||act one||

"damon, look buddy, it's obvious my allotted time here is unknown. i know i'm not your favorite person, i'm probably one of your least favorite, but i need to see cora. if i'm going to go back to that place, i need to see her one last time.

kai's various pleads did not go unnoticed by the elder salvatore, rather he chose to ignore them in their entirety. in his mind, keeping kai as far away from cora and emerson as possible was what would be best in the long run for the young mother and daughter duo. any interference from kai could have grave, unforeseen consequences none wished to become known.

minutes prior, blood had begun to pour from kai's nose. he deemed it an unfortunate consequence of his timely escape, and a trigger to speed up the reunion between him and cora. damon, on the other hand, argued that he did not need to see cora yet, but agreed to help find a solution as he knew kai would prove helpful in waking elena. after deciding upon the fact more bad souls would have to overcome kai's very, very bad one, damon began prepping worthless humans with bad intentions and qualities for kai to devour in a hidden back room.

the pair continued this sequence a while before kai decided he had had enough and the blood's incessant drip began to lessen. he carelessly dropped the last body unceremoniously to the hard ground before proceeding to clap damon upon the back and congratulate him on a job well done.

after a scowl from sent in kai's direction, damon reached into his back pocket and retrieved his phone. cora had been relentlessly calling him over the past hour and a half, and he though she deserved a call back once they had finished up their "work." however, kai saw him click on the girl's contact name and had other ideas.

"you gotta let me talk to her, damon," kai spoke with force that would frighten any meager human, but not damon. he knew how to handle kai well enough, so with one swift motion, kai's neck was left snapped and his body strewn across the dusty floor beneath him. damon's uninterested face shifted once the lack of ringing alerted him cora had answered his call.

"cora! how's my favorite forbes's sister doing," damon chirped sarcastically into the phone, after making sure kai was down and out of the way. the smirk upon his face could arguably be heard through the phone, something cora had become more than used to.

"considering caroline's history with you, that's not necessarily a hard contest to win, but, uh, bonnie's call got cut off right as she was going to tell me which one of our old friends is back to play," cora chuckles nervously at her comment and took a breath before continuing, "which one, damon?" her question begged an answer damon could easily answer, but he refrained from doing so for cora's sake.

"look, you're not going to be happy," damon uttered his words hesitantly, as if he was scared to speak them in their entirety. he began to lead her on, offer vague information to fill her void, but not revealing to much to give away the identity of their "old friend."

"i can confidently say that about all of our old friends we've sent to the grave," cora spoke bluntly, excluding kai, those she chose carefully not to necessarily mention him to damon. it was without question that she despised most of their enemies, though she had gotten along well enough with a few of the mikaelsons, occasionally to say the least.

"even kai?" damon spoke sarcastically, attempting to cover the fact that in truth, kai was was their so called old friend awaiting his reunion with her. he knew this was a touchy subject to bring up, but the words slipped from his mouth before he got the chance to think them over.