4; it will

||act one||

"so your daughter lit a candle with her mind and unceremoniously mentioned the fact she had a dream of kai?"

caroline's bewildered tone did little to ease cora's raging nerves. although she had gotten emerson to finally go to sleep, she was sure the surge of power that shot through her daughter's veins had wore her out, cora sat down with caroline at the dining table worrying about her daughter to no end. with her head in her hands, she hesitantly continued to tell the story of the night's events to her sister.

bonnie had left a few minutes prior to caroline's arrival to deal with damon's nonsense. cora was unsure of the circumstances, but bonnie's wide eyes following speaking with damon on the phone worried her more than she'd like to admit. she had refrained from mentioning to her older sister how much her daughter's words had honestly affected her. anytime somebody was to mention or speak of kai, grief settled deep within her bones.

"it-it all happened so suddenly." cora slowly sipped on her coffee, savoring the flavors stemming from the warm mug as she contemplated her next words carefully, "the words about him tumbled out so quickly. neither bonnie nor i could keep up." cora's eyes noticeably dulled and any trace of happiness was eradicated from her demeanor. she wasn't mad, or even sad, her emotions were confusing and hard to classify. even the older forbes girl could not read her, which was arguably quite rare for the pair. however, it was easy to see she was not content with the current situation.

"did she say anything else? i mean, besides provide a brief description of him and the fact that he supposedly taught her the word," caroline spoke with suspicion evident in her voice. caroline was annoyed, because she believed it to be a very "kai" thing, for him to teach emerson the incantation, though she did not know the entirety of the story.  she had never been overly accepting of cora and kai's relationship, nonetheless, she was desperate for her sister to be happy, and if that be with kai, than so be it. luke's emotions added to his personality after the merge helped drastically. that she was more than willing to admit to her little sister.

"no, no. just that. bonnie and i reiterated that she never dare speak that word again, but we didn't touch the subject of kai," cora acknowledged her sister's comment reluctantly and tore her eyes to the phone placed upon the wooden side table. she had told bonnie to call her with information, made her promise it,  from damon as soon as she had a chance. so far, she had heard nothing from the bennett.

caroline frowned in obvious dismay. she sighed and ran her hand through her vibrant blonde curls, shaking them out lightly and let them settle. cora looked down at her lap, finding a distraction in the fraying hem of the pillow she had been clutching.

"look sis, i promise you it's going to be okay," caroline extended her arm to collect her sister's trembling hands in her own, "i don't know when, and i might not know exactly how, but it will."

the older forbes ran her thumb over her little sister's knuckles in comfort. a manageable silence fell over the pair as worry enveloped the both of them. it seemed neither had any idea of what was to come in the future. cora knew in her heart that the vision emerson had of kai was not of his doing. kai had no idea that she had even been pregnant with emerson, ergo he would have no compelling feeling to contact the toddler. however, magic worked in mysterious ways. the contact had to have been initiated on emerson's half, she believed and knew in her heart that much. emerson's subconscious must have conjured up kai or something, she though to herself within these moments of quiet, calm before the storm. something. the word's void could never be filled.

unbeknownst to both of the girls and even emerson, kai parker would find them sooner than expected. if they even had expected his return at all.

||act two||