8.0 ▹ CERTAINTY.

There was three things Juliette felt certain about

There was three things Juliette felt certain about. One: Edward Cullen and his family were vampires. Two: He could've killed her any time since they had met and he didn't, because he liked her. Three: She was starting to consider that maybe, just maybe that she had kissed him on purpose as a way of saying she gave no fucks about him being a vampire. Or maybe she had simply wanted to try her luck.

Regardless, she was still wishing that they were at the same place they were when they had first gotten into her car that day. After he had told her his big secret, she had tried to call him, day after day after day for two weeks. And when he finally decided to call back, she'd hold the phone in her hand, watch his name light up the screen and she wouldn't answer. She'd just stare at the phone as if she were expecting him to jump out through the screen. She had concluded that they were playing a game of chase with each other, and it only made her feel sick to her stomach. Especially when he stopped coming to school.

She figured that was her fault and it only made her feel worse. When she looked at the ticket she had pinned to the corner of her mirror, it only reminded her of him. When she slept, his face was behind her eyelids, sometimes unmoving and just watching her. Other times, his teeth were at the junction of where her neck met her head and his lips were like dry ice against her skin.

His siblings continued to show up, without him and she had desperately clung to Alice for answers. Answers to questions that always nearly asked how Edward was doing or when was he coming back.

Juliette knew what it meant: she missed him.

Her phone was in her hand as she walked through the front door of her house, and let it slam behind her. She locked it and sighed, running a hand through her hair.

"Everything okay?" Her mother asked, her brown eyes twinkling with emotion. Juliette looked her mother in the eye and walked over to hug her. Jules tucked her head in the crook of her shoulder, wrapping her arms around her mother.

"I'm fine, mom. Just tired." She sighed, and her mother patted her cheek.

"Is that my favorite sister?" A voice came from the kitchen.

Juliette's mood lifted slightly, but not enough to do her any good. "One of them. Lia had to stay at school for art club."

Juliette's older and also adopted sister, Catalina came from the kitchen, a white coffee mug in hand. She had a bright grin on her already tan features, and she wore a Rice University sweatshirt and black jeans. Her curly hair bounced with every step she took. She walked around barefoot, which led Juliette to assume she had been home for a while.

Catalina was nineteen and originally from Argentina. She was also in college down in Portland, which also meant she came home during her scheduled breaks.

"Well, I couldn't miss my sister's big game." Catalina smiled and wrapped her arms around Juliette's lean body. Juliette wrapped her arms around her older sister's willowy and small frame, sighing softly.