Chapter 27

"People don't always get what they deserve in this world." Lemony Snickett, The Blank Book

---

Chapter Twenty – Seven

"Obviously Mrs Cassidy will need to rest when she arrives home," Doctor Whitney informed Luke. "She must not exert herself. It is of my professional opinion that she is out of medical danger, however, what with her memory loss, emotional trauma is still a real possibility."

"Emotional trauma?" repeated Luke.

Doctor Whitney stood up from behind his desk and walked around to face Luke. "It has only been a short time since she has awoken, and she had needed sedation to calm her."

Luke decided not to mention the fainting and the need for smelling salts when Isabella had learned she was a mother.

"I do not think there will be a need for sedation again," Luke replied. "I sincerely believe the initial shock has passed and she is learning to accept her reality. Honestly, it astounds me how well she is doing." Luke immediately thought of the beautiful moment that was occurring upstairs. A mother cradling her son. It was natural. "She is upstairs with our son."

Doctor Whitney smiled. "Well, that is good news. But you must still tread carefully. You will be introducing Mrs Cassidy to an entirely new environment. She will be easily overwhelmed. Just a little bit at a time."

Luke understood. Cassidy House was filled with people who knew Isabella. She was in a little protected cocoon in the hospital. There was every chance that this move could impact her negatively. "What do I do in the event that she does get overwhelmed?" he asked.

"What you need to do as soon as you arrive home is to establish a safe space for Mrs Cassidy. Somewhere she can close the door, be alone, and breathe."

Luke nodded. He would absolutely do that. Their bedroom was the obvious choice. He then stopped himself. Their bedroom. Where had Isabella been sleeping when he had been keeping to their room? Would he have to do the same? She would not want a virtual stranger sleeping next to her, would she?

"Just be observant, Captain. Look after her. Do not pressure her. Progress will come in due course."

Progress. One could only hope. "Do you think her memories will ever return?" Luke asked hopefully.

"I could not say," Doctor Whitney replied honestly. "Possibly. Possibly not. I would not pin all my hopes on it. Start afresh. This could be a blessing in disguise."

It was hard to believe that anything terrible happening to Isabella was a blessing, but he would not carry on by hoping that she would wake up and miraculously remember everything. "Thank you for your advice, Doctor," Luke said appreciatively.

"If you have any questions, please do write," Doctor Whitney replied sincerely.

Luke left Doctor Whitney's office feeling quite optimistic. Isabella was allowed to go home. It could only be positive that she return to some semblance of her former life. Even if she did never regain her memories, she would create new ones.

Once Luke had told Isabella the happy news, he would arrange for their departure immediately.

He climbed the stairs swiftly and marched down the hallway with a skip in his step. A grin was plastered on his face. He had been waiting such a long time to finally live as a family.

As soon as he opened Isabella's door, the view just about melted his heart. Jamie was still sleeping, his head resting on his mother's chest. When Isabella looked up at him, with her warm brown eyes, it was as if nothing had changed. She looked just the same as she always had.