FUSE

Circe screamed as bullets riddled the patio chair she was hiding behind.

"We're not your enemy!"

Pop pop pop. Wood splintered as the furniture finally cracked apart, leaving Circe exposed on the front porch of a house. She stood as three militia soldiers took aim and fired.

"Ahh!" Circe closed her eyes, hands covering her face, body tensing, about to become swiss cheese.

Zzt zzt zzt. Cire opened her eyes.

A field of electricity danced around her, crackling like a campfire. The militia stared, amazed at the lightshow, then continued firing. The Electric Shield lashed out at the incoming bullets, zapping them out of the air.

That's new, Circe thought.

* * *

"Come on!"

The farm is in sight, the dirt road from before now cutting through a large crop field leading to a huge building in its center, dozens of doors the size of hangars face us, a smaller structure connected to the garage via a covered catwalk sat to its right.

The control center. I should be able to track the closest AFV from in there.

I look over my shoulder, and my eyes widen.

Where the hell is it?

Thunder bellows from above, a storm arriving out of nowhere. As the first few drops fall, I begin to factor in how rain will affect my plan.

Movement to my left. I pull the reins just in time to see the beast dash out of the wheat, giant arms extended. My horse bucks, then cuts right, into the cabbage field at full speed. I chamber the next round in my rifle and fire, the shot deflecting off the monster's dome. A gut-wrenching howl echoes into the night air.

I have a significant lead now, the control center just a few yards away. I might actually pull this-

Out of nowhere my horse stumbles, launching me from it's back and into the leafy vegetables.

"Argh..goddamn." I look up just in time to see dozens of hose sized worms emerge from the dirt and tear at my horse's flesh and muscle, pulling it into the ground inch by inch, it's pain-filled neighs cutting short as a worm rips out its throat.

I get to my feet, horrified, then sprint across the field to the control center.

* * *

"Run!"

Circe descended the porch, arms out. The field she was generating deflected everything metallic, zapping the metal guardrails and debris around her.

"We're not hitting her!"

Circe could feel the raw power coursing around her, protecting her. It almost seemed like a living thing, connected to her conscious. She felt unstoppable.

"Short her out! Hit her with the hose!"

Wait, what-

150 psi of water nailed her right in the side, but it was how it reacted with her powers that got her. Her current travelled through the water, shocking herself. The forces canceled each other out, stomping out her energy.

"Aaaaah!" Circe collapsed with a spark, unconscious in a puddle of muddy water as militia closed in on her.