ONE MAN ARMY

27 Days Until Rapture

Circe awoke with a headache and handcuffs.

"Crap. . . " She sighed, blinking against the rising sun.

"Pretty accurate actually." Said Mrs. Crawford, kicking more mud over Circe's legs. The woman was dressed in a uniform similar to the militia's, but more important looking somehow. A look around showed that both Circe's hands were bound together behind her back, just before the Temple of Arcadus, sitting in the muddy road due to the rain.

"What-"

"Shut up. The only reason you aren't dead is because Zacharias wants to be diplomatic and determine your fate as a council."

"Zacharias?"

Mrs. Crawford blushed slightly, scowl deepening. "Chief Elder Lao. Oh, speaking of which." Circe heard the patter of footsteps, then watched as the Council of Elders descended the warped steps of the temple and stood around Circe, civilians gathering as well.

"I'm sorry about-"

"Quite." Lao boomed, Jason's jacket in hand. "You and your little boyfriend abused our hospitality and ignored our warnings."

"We were just trying to help!"

"You call this help?" Mrs. Crawford jabbed her finger at the destroyed front entrance of the Temple. "Destroying houses, throwing lightning? What the hell are you?"

Before Circe could respond, the ground began to shake.

* * *

The AFV consumed the trees, splintering their trunks and swallowing the remains.

The roofs of the town came into view, so I turned the lever towards Arcadia. I broke through the remains of the house I destroyed to trap the beast, and turned down the main road, stopping just before the Temple.

Guns were trained on me as soon as I jumped down, walking towards the group of people.

"Stop right there, Outsider!" Mrs. Crawford ordered.

Of course I didn't stop, but the sight of Circe, handcuffed, bruised and covered in mud on the floor makes me pause for a split second. Anger fills my stomach, a burning anger.

I continue walking, empty rifle in hand.

As I get closer, my senses heighten, like they always do when I'm facing a problem with pure violence being the only solution. As I approach, most of the citizens step back, pulling their children with them towards their homes. Smart.

"Not another step!"

20 feet and closing. 16 militia, all armed. None trained, so their main target would be my chest because it's the largest part of my body. Muddy terrain gives me the advantage.

I can see the closest militia to me tense as I get near, about to fire. So I make my move.

I bat his rifle out of my face, his round firing off into the sky, then grab his arm, snap it, and toss his body to the group of soldiers to my left. Less than a second later I'm on the next guy, two jabs to his ribs and an upper cuts knocks him out. I grab him by his collar before he hits the ground and toss him to his buddy behind him. The soldier drops his rifle and catches his body, that's when I drive my boot into his limp comrade's chest, knocking them both into the mud. Shots are going off now, their aim terrible as expected. I keep moving, taking out two more militia with a heavy swing of my rifle, knocking one into the other.

I'm about to tear into the next couple when a figure darts from the woods across the street and stops right beside the crowd. The fighting stops, the Council and the militia recoiling in terror from the monster of Arcadia.

I glare up into it's glowing yellow eyes. "Have anything to say now?"

It growls, then snaps its jaws around the Chief Elder's legs and charges away, back into the woods of which it came.

I don't lose a second.

I punch the nearest soldier, grabbing his gun and slide over to Circe, shooting off her cuffs. "Run!"

We take off towards the woods, the rest of the militia deciding not to follow.