PRISON BREAK

An alarm rang throughout the prison three days later.

Circe and Nijah woke up, curled up in opposite corners of their cell. "Can you see what's going on?"

Nijah sighed. "They took my pills, Dollface. I can barely see inside this cell. Everything's blurry." Screams come from somewhere in the compound, followed by an explosion. "I heard that though."

Footsteps approached the door, then keys unlocking it. The door swung open, a soldier covered in blood in the other side, gun in hand. "You called that thing, didn't you?"

Circe was speechless. "I don't. . ."

The soldier raised his gun, moving it between Nijah and Circe. "Hey, just calm down, buddy." Nijah said, hands raised slightly. "I've been in this cell all this time, trust me I have kept my eye on this one, and she hasn't left either. Just calm down and tell us what's-"

The soldier opened fire, but not at them. He turned to his left, shooting at something down the hall. A giant blur engulfed him, carrying him down the hall. His screams suddenly stopped, followed by a roar that shook the walls. Heavy footsteps came back to the door, and the face a huge monster slid into view, teeth bared and bloody, eyes glowing yellow.

But familiar.

Circe stood up hesitantly. "Arcadus?"

The monster sniffed the air in the cell, then licked his lips, panting with his tongue out like an oversized dog. "Circe. . . good."

Circe couldn't do anything but laugh, slowly walking up to Arcadus and petting his tire-sized head. "What the hell, Jason." She breathed.

Nijah just stared wide-eyed, back against the wall. "So. . ."

Ardacus growled, roaring at Nijah but I hug his neck, holding him back. "No, no! Nijah is good! Usually." He growled again, but eventually calmed, backing out of the door so they could get out. Circe grabbed Nijah's hand and pulled her into the hall.

"Is this like your pet dog or. . .? Nijah said as Circe helps her onto Arcadus' back.

"Uh, sure I guess you could say that." Circe climbed up after them, rubbing Arcadus' head. "Do you know where Jason is?"

He sniffs the air. "Master. . . close."

Then he took off down the hall.

* * *

The screws.

The Governor took the screws holding the chair down, that's what the jingling was, but why?

Doesn't matter. The compound is under attack, which means they'll be coming for me soon enough.

I rock back and forth, building momentum, then on the forward tilt and lean forward all the way. Me, along with the chair falls forward, and I stand. Well, not stand, the chair is still tied to me, keeping me bent as a 45 degree angle, but I'm on my feet. I stay like this for a full three minutes, waiting for the footsteps.

When I finally hear them, I count in my head, needing to nail this perfectly because I only get one shot.

9 seconds for them to walk to the door.

2.5 to find the key.

3 to unlock.

When I hear the lock disengage, I bend at the knees as much as I can, then push out with everything I have. The IVs are pulled out of my arm as I flip forward in the air, coming down chair first on who I believe to be the guy who always had the clipboard. I feel the chair buckle under the weight, loosening the ropes enough for me to squeeze out and roll to my feet, getting in a fighting stance.