CONFLICT OF INTEREST

We drove for three hours.

Jason and the old dude talked the entire drive while the rest of us slept in the backseat of the Detective's hummer. I guess I have a habit of eavesdropping, but I didn't need super hearing to listen in on their conversation. Most of Jason's questions were about his mom, which is expected after being told about her hand in the construction of the nuke. HIs heartbeat increased and decreased throughout the whole thing, while Detective Q's stayed abnormally low the entire time. I just had a general feeling of unease about the guy. Something felt off about him.

By the time the car stopped, the conversation had turned to the issue of Jakkar, but they paused while we got out and set up camp in the small plaza in front of an ancient grey skyscraper, overgrown with flora and surrounded by tar pits. They continued their talk as we settled around a makeshift campfire.

"We need to come up with a plan." The Detective said. Jason just stared at the fire.

"Did you hear me? Jakkar has obtained a nuke far more powerful than the one that destroyed this kingdom two decades ago. No matter where he detonates it, the ecosystem of the Utopia will be devastated beyond repair. We must do something."

"No."

I could sense the physical reaction Jason's curt response had on the Detective. "Nonsense. Of course we need to stop him."

Jason looked at the old man through the flames. "I can't go with you."

Detective Q shook his head, confused. "Jason, listen to yourself. You're-"

"I. Am not. Going with you."

"Why, Jason?"

Jason reached out to Circe, who was sitting beside him, and squeezed her hand. "I made her a promise. We have two days left, and most of tomorrow will just be getting to the Lift, nevermind fighting any enemy forces we encounter along the way. We don't even know if the Lift needs repairs, or if it's completely inoperable. We just don't have the time to deal with both problems."

I sensed the Detective's heartbeat flutter for the first time. "You're willing to risk the destruction of the entire Utopia, to run away with your little girlfriend?"

The ends of Jason's mouth turned down in a flash of anger. "It's not just that, okay? It's a new start, in a new world. There's nothing for me to go back to now is there? Half the Utopia's governments want me dead. And that's the same for the rest of you." He looks at Sam and I in turn. "You two need to make a choice before we proceed. You can either make your way back under the Great Wall and go into hiding, constantly looking over your shoulder, or you can come with us to the new Utopia."

After a few seconds of silence between us, Sam agreed to go with them. The Detective's heartbeat increased every second, and suddenly all eyes were on me.

I felt my chest tighten and my ears ring, so I closed my eyes and blocked out all of my senses, a little trick I learned back in the orphanage. Everything was black, nothing my conscious and my thoughts.

What he asked was serious. Was I ready to leave everything I've ever known? To just. . . disappear? Well, It's not that I knew much about my own past anyway. I've protected the Seventh Kingdom for years, and I know a handful of individuals who will replace me. And I suppose I won't be going alone, Sam, Circe, and Leather Jacket will be there too. Ugh.

I slowly brought the awareness back, and sensed everyone's gaze once again. I turned to Jason.

"Why the hell not?" I smirked, crossing my arms.

"Then it's settled. Tomorrow morning we head for the Northern Lift."

The Detective tried to ruin the mood. "But Jason-"

Jason merely held his hand up, laid down where he sat, and fell asleep on some blankets we pulled from the Detective's car. Circe gave an apologetic look to Q and laid down herself. Sam and I followed suit. I sensed the Detective stare into the fire for a full hour before fatigue took me, and I drifted to dreamland.

* * *

Lightning flashes.

Dread fills my stomach when I realize that I'm dreaming, and what will come next, but the unexpected happens.

The inky blackness I'm in fades into a sort of greyish blue, and half a dozen figures emerge, that I recognize immediately: Dante, the Governor, the General, Daveral, Garcia, and Jakkar. But they aren't attacking me. They're just. . . staring.

"What are you trying to tell me Brain?" I whisper to myself, slowly doggy paddling towards the group of people. As I near the left side of the line up, I notice that Dante's figure is darkened, like he's standing in a large shadow. After thinking about character selection menus in video games, I finally get an idea for what this is.

I look up towards the infinitely blue sky. "This is my hit list, isn't it Brain?"

You're the first one. The others will see you in Hell soon.

I recognize my own voice, and sigh, shaking my head. "I know what I said, Brain, but I already decided that I've had enough of this Utopia. Jason, out!" I wave my hands and the dream returns to a black void, which in some odd way, seems more comforting.

My dream self flinches when an alarm sound resonates through the void, and I know something's wrong.

I open my eyes.

I see what once used to be the calm campfire, now a blazing inferno, consuming the empty blankets and sleeping bags around it. I hear screaming and gunfire, and before I can turn to see who it is, something hits me in the back of the head, sending me right back to sleep.