Chapter 4: At Flourish and Blotts

Draco's prediction came true: He was tossing garden gnomes by the end of the week. In fact, due to his highly competitive nature, he was winning several of the impromptu gnome-throwing games, and having lots of fun doing it. It seemed as though the muddier he got, the more determined he was to win. However, he still preferred cleanliness, and as soon as the game was over, he'd rush to the bathroom and come out practically shining not too long afterwards. Still, it was definitely progress.

Other than that development, the trio enjoyed their time at The Burrow. Their bridges with Ron were starting to be rebuilt, but Harry knew that their friendship with him would never be as strong as before, because they'd had numerous adventures which he had no knowledge of. They spent time properly getting to know Luna and her father, playing Quidditch with the Weasley kids (other than Percy, who was often hidden away in his room. Harry had heard him mumbling about someone, and when Harry asked Fred and George, they told him that they thought Percy was seeing someone), and going over prank ideas with Fred and George. It was a good thing that any small explosions in their room was ignored by the other members of the house, because otherwise their devious plans would have been outed.

Mrs Weasley fussed like crazy over Draco, demanding he eat fourth helpings at every meal when he could barely eat two. Harry suspected that rather than just one Weasley jumper for Christmas, it seemed likely that Draco would have several other items of knitted clothing as well, and it was looking very likely that Draco would enjoy being pampered like that. He'd been practically starved of love when Harry had first met him, with his mother the only provider, and becoming a Gryffindor, living with Harry and his godfathers, and finally being fussed over by Mrs Weasley, had allowed Draco to come out of his shell fully.

Monday morning arrived, bright and sunny, and the four boys tumbled downstairs to breakfast to find Mr Weasley, Mrs Weasley, and Ginny already sitting at the kitchen table. Harry noticed that as soon as Ginny saw Neville, her face became as red as her hair. She often became quite clumsy, prone to knocking things over, whenever Neville entered the room. Harry thought it was hilarious.

"Letters from school," said Mr Weasley, passing each of the present kids almost identical envelopes of yellowish parchment, addressed in green ink. "Dumbledore already knows you three are here-doesn't miss a trick, that man. You two've got them too," he added as the twins ambled in, still in their pyjamas.

Harry wondered how Dumbledore had found out. He knew Sirius and Remus wouldn't have told the old goat; neither of them trusted him after what they'd discovered on Harry's tenth birthday. Neville's gran wouldn't have told him, since she was mostly ignored in the social game that was the Wizengamot until she spoke up. That left the Weasleys. Harry mused that other than Fred and George, none of them knew how manipulative the headmaster was, and so would probably have chatted away about the trio's whereabouts without realising that there was a possibility for exploitation on Dumbledore's behalf.

For a few minutes there was silence as they all read their letters. Harry's told him to catch the Hogwarts Express as usual from King's Cross station on September the first. There was also a list of the new books he'd need for the coming year.

Second-year students will require:

The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2 by Miranda Goshawk

Break with a Banshee by Gilderoy Lockhart

Gadding with Ghouls by Gilderoy Lockhart

Holidays with Hags by Gilderoy Lockhart

Travels with Trolls by Gilderoy Lockhart

Voyages with Vampires by Gilderoy Lockhart

Wanderings with Werewolves by Gilderoy Lockhart