Chapter 10: Dungeons and Divorces

Draco could not stop laughing. He'd just overheard Lavender and Parvati talking about the homework they'd received from Lockhart; a poem about Lockhart's defeat of a werewolf, whose existence was somewhat questionable in the first place. Harry was looking amused, both at the situation their poor classmates found themselves in, and at the fact that by this time, Draco's laughter had turned silent, with the occasional noisy inhale, causing Draco to resemble a retarded seal. His rolling on the floor and the frequent clapping of his hands did not help matters. Then again, Harry was glad that Draco was able to enjoy himself to this extent, when Harry knew how stressed he was. He had nightmares more nights than not, and Harry was the only one who could wake him up and calm him down, and the only way Draco seemed to be able to fall asleep again was if he was in Harry's bed. Draco never talked about what they contained, but it didn't take a genius to figure out they had something to do with his father.

In fact, Draco's worry was most likely centred around the plan the old and new Marauders had come up with together in order to free Narcissa from Lucius' tyranny. In two days, the first Quidditch match of the season would take place-Slytherin versus Gryffindor-and all of the members of the Board of Governors would be attending, as was custom. However, Narcissa had packed as much as she could without tipping her husband off, and then, with Sirius' aid, would get her marriage annulled.

Now, finally, the day had arrived, and Harry was currently trying to coax Draco with a bite of buttered toast. Just as he'd convinced Draco to open his mouth-

"But what if Father decides to leave in the middle of the game?"

Harry sighed silently. "Luna and Nev are standing by with the mirror. You know this, Dray, I've told you five times today alone. Please, for my sanity as well as yours, relax."

Draco slumped dejectedly. "Sorry Harry, I just... I can't stop thinking about all the things that could go wrong, and I know I'm being as paranoid as what Sirius says Mad-Eye Moody is, but she's my mother, my mum, and I just want her to be safe."

From Draco's other side, Neville spoke, "We understand, Draco, but we're kids, and okay, we may have been the ones to suggest the Quidditch match as the time to get everything done, but it won't do you any good to worry."

Just then, a regal-looking eagle owl landed in front of Draco, bearing a letter. Just as he was about to open it, a dark shadow fell over the three of them.

"Mr Black and... companions, I suggest you come with me at once, and explain yourselves."

They gulped nervously; when Snape was using that voice, the common reaction was to sink lower into one's chair and regret any and every wrongdoing they'd ever committed. All three were confused, though. Their last prank, one of covering popular hang-out spots in invisible tar, had been over two weeks ago, and it had been Snape himself who had offered the idea to them (well, he hadn't actually offered... it was more like he'd been ranting about the tar-like thickness of Crabbe and Goyle's Forgetfulness Potion, and suggesting they use it to stick themselves to chairs in the library so they would study properly... and the idea was born).

When they got down to Snape's office, he turned to face them, cloak swirling. "All right, I believe we are safe now. Draco, you can open the letter from your mother now."

Neville exhaled shakily, and Severus smirked, knowing exactly why he'd been so nervous.

Draco opened it gingerly.

My dearest Dragon,

I have written to you today, because I know full well that you're worrying yourself immensely. I promise, all will be well, and I shall see you again over the Christmas Holidays - this time, for the duration of the break, not just one measly afternoon.