Chapter 18: Aftermath

Notes: So, here's the last chapter of this fic! Look at the A/N last chapter to find out when I'll be posting the first chapter of book 3, which will be called The New Trio and the Madness Within. I'll post a "chapter" on this one when I post the first chapter so that anyone who's not paying attention will know to go to my profile to find book 3. Enjoy!

~~~~~

Harry made sure that Selena would be fine remaining in the Chamber for the time being, learning that she could get enough to eat simply by following one of the secret tunnels out into the far reaches of the Forbidden Forest where game was plentiful and did not include centaurs. With this revelation, the three bedraggled Gryffindors practically carried Blaise out of the Chamber and into the waiting arms of Professor Snape, who had managed to fortify the site of the cave-in and dig out a sizable entrance with the help of the twins.

Snape was extremely grateful that his Slytherin had come out of the Chamber alive, and everyone saw how proud he was of Draco when he heard the full story of what had happened. This pride was increased tenfold when he saw the sword his godson was holding. "Oh Merlin! Draco, do you know what that sword is?"

Draco shook his head. "I was trying to protect Blaise from Riddle, when Fawkes dropped the Sorting Hat on my head. When Selena, the Basilisk came out of the statue, I felt the hilt of the sword hit me on the head from inside the Hat. I pulled it out and I was about to throw it to Harry, when he started talking to her in Parseltongue. I didn't want to distract him or draw her attention, so I stayed put." He shrugged. "I didn't actually need to give the sword to anyone, so I kept it."

Snape shook his head in wonder. "That is the Sword of Godric Gryffindor. Crafted by Ragnok the third and given to Gryffindor himself, it's been lost for at least four centuries. The legend was that only those who were true Gryffindors at heart could call it to them in times of need."

Draco looked closer at the blade, and sure enough found the name engraved just below the hilt.

Godric Gryffindor.

For a minute, no one spoke. Then, this silence was broken by none other than Gilderoy Lockhart. "What's all this silence about, eh? Do all of you live here?"

Snape groaned. "For the hundredth time, no! We are in a cave! Is that not obvious?"

"People can live in caves if they want to, can't they?" asked George in a mock-offended voice.

"Yeah, it's a life choice!" agreed Fred, always ready to make Snape's life more difficult. "Just because you don't live here, some of us might!"

"Oh," said Lockhart. "Do any of you-"

"NO!" shouted Snape.

*

The way back out of the pipe was easily provided by Fawkes. Holding onto the phoenix's tail feathers and each other, an extraordinary lightness spread through all of them, and the next second, with a whoosh, they were flying upwards through the pipe. Soon enough, they were all lying in a heap in Myrtle's bathroom, and one muttered :Close,: from Harry caused the sink that hid the pipe to slide back into place.

Myrtle floated above them. "You're all alive," she said mournfully. "I'd been hoping that at least one of you might, so you could share my toilet with me. It gets ever so lonely sometimes."

All but Lockhart shivered at the thought; Lockhart was staring at Myrtle as though he'd never seen a ghost before.

"I don't think we need to tell Dumbledore the truth about what happened in the Chamber," said Neville. "We still aren't completely sure whether he knows about Voldemort's Horcruxes, and I bet that as soon as he sees that diary, he'll know. Then you'd have to explain about Selena and memory-Riddle, and how you're the Heir."