Chapter 16: The Chamber of Secrets

Notes: Okay, so after this chapter, there are two more, then after that, I'm going to have a month's break, and then I'll upload an update on this fic to tell you when the first chapter of book 3 is up. I have decided that next semester, Tuesdays shall be my update days. However, my next semester is going to be very busy, so if I don't have any time to write that week, I'm just going to upload a chapter of one of two completely different fics, which I started because I just got random ideas. One is a Harry is a Malfoy Harry/Blaise fic and is currently having its seventh chapter written, and the other is a Harry/twins fic and has four and a half chapters. I'd like to know which one I should post first if I have no time to write on this fic next semester, so please comment on that.

~~~~~

Fred sat next to the frozen form of his girlfriend, distraught. Okay, so he knew she was only Petrified, and not dead, but still. Hermione was his first serious girlfriend, and they'd been together for two months, when previously he'd only held a relationship for two weeks. With this new length of relationship, came new levels of feelings; he cared very deeply for Hermione, it wasn't quite love yet, but he could easily see himself falling completely for her. This scared him, since as a prankster, he was used to having fun, making others laugh, and just generally not being taken seriously, but the things she brought out in him were totally different. What was even more surprising was that he had decided that he liked what she made him feel, that if it made her happy, he'd do almost anything, be almost anything. He knew, however, because of one of the long evening talks they'd had in front of the fire, that she liked him just as he was; part of what drew her to him was his mischievousness and fun-loving nature. She was perfect.

He turned his head to look at her again and sighed. He couldn't bear to see her lying so still. Her eyes were open too, so he had no idea how that worked, or if she was feeling any pain because of it. He didn't really know whether she could currently feel anything, or if she was at all aware, but he couldn't help but tell her about the day he'd had.

"Okay, Mione. That's all. I guess I'll come back later, or tomorrow if I can't find the time to slip away from everyone. There's so much security, I had to duck down three secret passageways just to get here! Anyway, I'll see you then, love." He stood up and leant down, pressing a chaste kiss to her forehead, and squeezed her right hand. He heard a crinkling sound, and looked down at her hand. It lay clenched on top of her blankets, and bending closer, he saw that a small scrap of parchment was scrunched inside her fist.

He looked around surreptitiously, wanting to make sure no one was near, then attempted to get the parchment out. It was fairly difficult, because of how hard her hand was clenched around it, and he was trying to prevent it from tearing. After a few minutes, he managed to squirrel it out of her fist, and he unravelled it. "What-Hermione, this is a page from a library book! What was going through your sweet, intelligent little head when you tore it out?"

He read what was on the page, then blanched. "Oh, Merlin... a Basilisk..."

He looked at her. "How'd you manage this? I mean, it says that it's got a 'murderous stare', so how did you and all the others manage to get Petrified? Nothing here says how Petrification gets tied in with it."

He thought for a moment, then came to a decision. "Right. Hermione, I'm gonna go to the others, and have them look at this. Maybe they have some ideas. I'll come back and tell you all about it, I promise."

He ran off towards the seventh floor, where everyone but the firsties of their group was having a study session. When he got there, he was a bit out of breath, but dutifully handed the ripped-out page to Harry.

*Harry's POV*

Harry raised an eyebrow when he saw the state Fred was in. He'd obviously slept in the clothes he was currently wearing, he looked unkempt, and he obviously hadn't slept very much with those dark bags under his eyes, which was a far throw from his usual boyish good look. However, Fred handed over what looked like a torn piece of parchment, and looked at him expectantly. He read what it said, and his eyes widened in understanding.