eighteen

November 22nd

Draco,

Got home safe. Mum is in bits.

Belly

-

1st of December

Dear Draco,

We're a strong family, but this really hit us hard. I don't get it; I don't get death. Dad was always the toughest guy I knew; my hero since forever. He was so good, and so strong; resilient to anything and everything. And now he's just gone. Defeated.

But... They confirmed what happened in the attack. You know, that it involved Muggles. It's awful, but I feel kind of numb about it. I think I'm in denial.

Most people are being very kind – bringing over meals for us and that – but they don't stay long. They're too scared for themselves.

Mum cries a lot.

I'm sorry for yelling that day. It was such a panicky, surreal moment; the worst of my entire life. I was upset and confused and in shock, and I took it out on you when you were just trying to comfort me. I'm so sorry.

But I've been thinking. I miss you so much, but I can't see how things will ever work out if life goes on like this; the two of us standing at either end of a war. As much as I try, I can't see a happy ending.

Please convince me otherwise.

By the way, I love you too.

Belly

-

25th of December

Dear Draco,

Happy Christmas!

Well, not really happy here, if I'm honest. Mum and I are trying our best, but it's so hard not to compare it to every other Christmas we've had. It's just not the same without Dad.

I didn't mean what I said in the last letter, about things not working out between us. Well, I did, but I miss you so much that I've decided it doesn't matter. This is such a hard time for me and my mum that it almost doesn't feel real, and I've been saying and thinking a lot of things that I shouldn't.

How are things with you?

I love you,

Belly

-

January 20th

Dear Draco,

You're not writing back so I don't know how much you've heard, but I probably won't be coming back to school for another while. I don't know for how long.

I'm staying with mum to help out around the house, but also so we can figure out the money situation, now that Dad's gone. He held the main source of income for the family, obviously, having worked for the Ministry and all. I'm helping Mum with her perfume business as well at the moment, and she claims it makes a difference. Anyway, I'm technically practicing potions, and although I'm still terrible at it, I reckon Slughorn would be proud.

Mostly though, I need to stay with Mum. If I come back to Hogwarts, she'll be all alone. I think it might just be good for the two of us to stay here together for a while; these kind of things are more important than education.

It's been really hard.

I hope you're okay.

Love, Belly

-

5th of March

Draco,

Mum's been happier lately. We went shopping together today – the first time we've left the house in ages – and we had a really good time. I think things might finally be looking up for us.

I've heard about some of the things going on at Hogwarts – apparently Katie Bell AND Ron have both been attacked? What's going on?

I've been going over some of the work at home, the stuff you're doing in school right now. I wish I was there so we could complain about it together!

Love, Isobel

-

April 1st

Draco,

Is it because of the sides we're on? Is that why you're not writing back?

Because all I want is peace, Draco.

I'm probably being annoying, and I'm sorry. But if you're letting me go, you have to tell me. You can't just ignore me, please.

Love, Isobel

-

April 22nd

Draco,

You know, it really isn't hard to scribble down a one-word answer and send it to me. I just want to know, ARE YOU OKAY?

I hate to remind you, but apart from my mother, you're my only real friend these days. I've been stuck here for months, with only my mother to talk to, and I barely know a single thing of what's going on back at Hogwarts. It's really frustrating.

Just in case you wanted to know, I'm great. Still mourning my dead dad, but whatever.

Isobel

-

13th of May

Draco,

Well, I wrote to Hermione. I know they all still can't get over us dating, but guess what? It seems even someone who hates me can write back to me faster than you can. (I'm annoyed at you, if you can't tell).

Hermione says it's not up to her to tell me about your life, and she's right. Please, just write something back. Tell me I'm overreacting.

Isobel

-

June 5th

Happy birthday, Draco.

I hope you have a good day. Remember this day last year? Blissful ignorance, right?

I still don't know where we stand or what's happening.

Isobel

-

30th of June

Draco,

I'm coming back.