Part two.

<<Why don't you lie down next to me? You will really hurt you back if you keep sleeping in uncomfortable positions.>>

Gaius never asked Merlin why he didn't come back into his room at night.
He knew that if the King needed him, Merlin would stay with him.
Gaius never asked explanations.
And the fact was, Merlin didn't know why Arthur was acting in that way, either.

Merlin looked at him perplexed.
That time he didn't hypothesise the reason behind Arthur's behaviour.
He had done nothing all day.
No battle. No training. No council. Nothing.
They only spent all the day together in the woods.
"Just to look around." as Arthur said.
When he finally laid down next to him, Merlin felt embarrassed. He didn't know what to say.
He thought for sure Arthur was going to say something like "It was a joke, idiot! Get out of my face, I wouldn't spend my night with you for anything in the world!"
But Arthur didn't say that. He said nothing.
He just turned off the light and he fell asleep. Without a word.
* * *
Merlin stopped wondering why Arthur kept asking him to stay. Why Arthur wanted him to lie down next to him. Why Arthur came closer to him, more and more every night.
Merlin gave up justifying his behaviour when, one night, Arthur unexpectedly hugged him.
In the dark, without a speaking.
Merlin had his back to Arthur and he hugged him from behind.
Arthur closed his eyes and fell asleep. Always without saying a word.