Monsters

Wirt knew his life wouldn't be easy the moment he took Finn under his wing, so waking up to attempted murder wasn't all that surprising.

Actually it was kinda expected.

The boys, though he loved them unconditionally, seemed to enjoy attacking him at any given moment. In Finn's case it was a matter of control and genuine ignorance of the fact that his powers could kill an actual person; the same cannot be said for Bipper whose attempts at attempted murder were downright relentless. Somewhere, deep inside his twisted mind, he had confused showing affection with homicide.

If Wirt was anyone else, he would surely be dead ten times over. As it was, the humanoid child's near mindless slashing was easy to avoid.

"Calm down," he said gently. The child's face was frozen into a polite smile, though it did not hide the blatant fear lurking beneath their gaze. "My brothers and I won't hurt you or your friend."

They tilted their head similar to a confused cat before lunging again, gleaming knife poised to stab. Wirt swallowed down a sigh, silently glad he sent the boys away to look for food. If they were here he was sure there would be bloodshed. So with the skill of someone who faced attacks like these frequently, he had the knife hidden away and the child lying on the ground in bafflement, with roots instinctively securing their limbs so they couldn't get up again.

Carefully, he knelt next to them and said it again slowly. "I'm not here to hurt you or your friend."

The fear in their eyes did not abate.

"Chara?" a soft voice whispered meekly.

The fear in their eyes worsened.

Wirt kept his guard up even though the child made no move to get up, and cast his gaze to the quiet goat child who stood shyly to the side. They were covered head to toe in dirty white fur with a tiny cowlick on top of their hornless head, they also had long ears, a snout, and visible fangs. They wore a green, long-sleeved shirt with yellow stripes and black pants, similar to the child he was magically pinning down to the ground.

Wirt gave a friendly smile, akin to the ones he used to give to the farm animal students down at the school yard when he taught music class.

"Hello there," he greeted gently. "My name is Wirt, what's your name?"

"H-howdy Mr. Wirt," the child responded shyly. "My name is Asriel."

"Asriel, that's a nice name," Wirt said softly. The presumed 'Chara''s hands twitched for their knife. "My brothers will be here any minute with food, I'll explain everything I know once they're here if you don't mind."

"I... I don't mind Mr. Wirt," Asriel replied quietly. They directed their gaze to the ground and happened to see the previously violent child on the ground. Their eyes flickered through so many emotions that Wirt couldn't read. Though he just figured the image of him pinning their friend to the ground with magical roots while holding a knife wasn't the greatest thing to see, so he put down the knife and gently released the child from their root prison.

The moment Asriel realised what he was doing, he seemed to panic for a bit before crying out a warning.

"Mister stay away from them!"

Then Chara attacked.

Typical.

Unfortunately, this was the time the dysfunctional duo chose to show up so...

Chaos and bloodshed abound.

"Y-you have to stop them Mr. Wirt!" Asriel exclaimed, Wirt didn't really want to interfere because he is so done with violent brats but he can't willingly watch this massacre happen without feeling like the scum of the earth. Curse his inability to allow bad things to happen to children.

So with a sigh and a prayer for patience, Wirt had them all magically bound and contained like a group of particularly aggressive animals.

"Bipper. Finn. Behave." Wirt enunciated firmly, levelling them both with a stern gaze. They stubbornly refused to look even slightly apologetic. Punks.

"You promised." Those words seemed to strike a chord and they stopped resisting though they seemed very resentful to be doing so, the same cannot be said to the other child, Chara.

Wirt wasn't quite sure but going by the kind of children he has been dealing with as well as the sheer unease that Asriel was displaying in regards to the near-rabid rascal he hasn't released yet. He was going to have another devil joining in his little group of minions.

Fan-fucking-tastic.

He has to deal with another problem child. Soon enough, he'll have enough problem children to build an orphanage.

The worst part is knowing that he'd still take them in even if they were all demons from hell.

How unfortunate.