Who Broke It?

There was a merry band of homicidal children living in the Old Grist Mill under the care of the Beast of the Unknown.

Or at least... they used to.

The Old Grist Mill wasn't there anymore.

For lack of better word, it was broken beyond repair and the not-so-merry band of homicidal children stood over it in fear. To be honest, this wasn't the first time the house was destroyed but they weren't very eager to see Wirt get angry.

In the children's own humble opinion, an angry Wirt is the most terrifying creature in all of Creation and none of them were looking forward for his reaction. They spent the past five minutes exchanging wide, worried glances, unclear on what to do next.

"Oh no guys!" Asriel whisper-yelled, he looked legitimately terrified, and the others weren't doing much better. The ever-present smiles on Bipper and Chara's faces were gone, and Finn's skin was ashen with fear. "We're going to be in so much trouble!"

"We have to hide." Bipper commanded desperately, already turning around to leave, only to be stopped by Wirt who stood behind them.

"Going somewhere?"

"Uhh..." Bipper interjected, looking desperately at his siblings for some kind of rescue. Wirt's gaze drifted from Bipper's face to the house and his face went blank.

"What happened to the house?" No one could respond.

"So..." He began agian, his expression was unreadable but the children avoided his stare anyway. "Who broke it?"

There was only tense silence.

"I'm not mad, I just want to know." Yeah he wasn't mad, he was disappointed and somehow that was even worse than the expected anger.

"I did. I broke the—" Asriel confessed immediately.

"No. No you didn't." There was tense silence once more after Wirt's immediate dismissal. His brown eyes shifted to look at each and everyone of them. "Bipper?"

"Don't look at me!" he argued defensively, his yellow cat eyes immediately locking on to his 'rival' sibling. "Look at Finn!"

"What? I didn't break it."

"Huh? That's weird." Bipper said aggressively, walking up closer to their face and pointing an accusatory finger. "How'd you even know it was broken?"

"Because we lived there and its broken." Finn reasoned with a large sweep of a hand to show just how wrecked the Old Grist Mill was. Bipper didn't seem to care, too intent on pinning the blame on his sibling.

"Suspicious."

"No, its not."

"Lia—!"

"Okay, let's not fight!" Asriel interrupted, hoping to cut the fighting at the bud. "I broke it! I'll clean up and rebuild—"

"No." Wirt said harshly, silence reigned again. "Who broke it?"

"Wirt..." Finn began quietly. "Not to point fingers or anything but Chara's being awfully quiet..."

"REALLY?" Chara demanded sarcastically. Despite Asriel's best attempts at pacifism, the children descended into arguments anyway with fights not too far off in the horizon.

Wirt stood there and observed the impending chaos with small smile. He knew none of the children destroyed the house. They couldn't have because he was the one who razed it to the ground in the first place.

It was getting too quiet anyway.