Chapter 1

It's been a couple of days into my much needed vacation. I am a college student living with three of my best friends in a tiny two room apartment. We get by and have saved up a lot of money for this trip for a whole year but honestly I wish we had just invested the money and be smart with it. My friend Ana, the smallest and cutest one of us in the group, suggested that we take our summer vacation to a remote location to get away from society. The two other girls jumped on that idea quickly but I still remained skeptic.

Classes are hectic and I barely had any free time to do anything other than study and do homework. I am quiet but by choice. I'd rather not waste my breath on useless small talk with people that I know will not benefit me in the future. I still talk with my roommates and am still nice to strangers, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find someone to talk to. Me and Tanaka share a room with a bunk bed and she is definitely my best friend and was the one to talk me into saving money for this trip.

I kept trying to back out before buying plane tickets but eventually gave into their constant whining. The place we are going to is a small country that I've never heard about called Romoura, but I trust Ana with the details of the place. She had been wanting to go there ever since she moved in with us three years ago.

We landed a few days ago and the place looks absolutely stunning and the weather is perfect. The natives are super nice and it is hard to believe that this is actually real. I should have done more research on this place because it's crazy to think it is unheard of. It basically doesn't exist.

Today we decided to straighten out our room and get lunch at a place a little farther than we had traveled before by foot. We rented out a nice wooden cabin-like building with a small pool outside. Ana and Kyira have been bickering with each other all day about who made what mess in the room and I am sitting on my small blue bed in the corner with a book.

Tanaka decided to shoo them out of the house and I followed in suit, not complaining of the lack of arguing. The tall black-haired girl that got us out of the house leads the way with a map and the short red-head bounces right next to her. I stay in the back behind the girl slightly taller than Ana with blonde hair. Kyira has always been more outgoing than the rest of us and likes to talk a lot. Ana is the very sweet bubbly one and Tanaka is the level-headed intelligent girl.

    Usually when we walk down this road next to a bunch of other houses like ours, village people would be out and walk to the market with us and Kyira would chat away with them. Today though, no one is on the trail. I had checked the weather ahead of time and it didn't say anything about bad weather and there aren't any sicknesses going around.

"Hmm.. This seems a little odd." Tanaka speaks out first.

"Yeah, it seems a bit sketch out here." Kyira pipes in, "Could I go knock on someone's door to ask what's up?"

"No." Tanaka stops the outgoing girl before she runs off. The girl pouts and continues to walk with us until we reach the small market area.

As we move closer to the small shops, Kyira shouts a little too loudly for comfort that she sees a person. The woman hears us and hurries up her movements as she grabs an armful of items from a small cart used for selling items in the marketplace. We run up to her and Kyira stops her from running away from us. The woman looks at us, furious, and looks around us to make sure nobody else is with us.

"What are you all doing here!?" She yells at us in a hushed tone. "The sweep is occurring!"

All of us look at each other and give her a confused look. The woman softens her face and grabs at Kyira's shirt and pulls her down a small alleyway. I am the first to run after them and the two girls follow in suit. We reach a small shack and head inside the cramped dining area.