Chapter 15

We went through the first and second level of his home and the top rooms I found interesting was the full library, second store balcony, ballroom, grand entry, and a giant bathroom. This place is practically built for holding parties nonstop, yet this family doesn't seem like the party type. We get up to the third floor where Lance's room is located. He doesn't let me go in, but he opens the door to let me get a peek before shutting it swiftly and walking away so we didn't spend so much time on the tour.

His room is very bright, a contrast from his dark colored room back at the cabins, and has a black and white theme with splashes of blue. He has a slightly bigger twin sized bed in his big bedroom, which makes me wonder why he wouldn't just get a bigger bed. It's not like he can't afford it. There are two doors which is probably the bathroom and closet, and a bedside table. The rest of the bedroom is empty which makes my heart sad for some reason. His bedroom at the cabins were more filled than this.

As we walk back down to the first floor, I decide to ask Lance about his room, "Why is your room so bare?"

He glances down at me and continues walking forward, "There is no need to fill it with useless things."

"But what about a bed? Surely more room would let you have a bigger bed to be more comfortable?" I ask.

"It is only me sleeping in my room. Why make it comfortable for others?" He slows down and gives me a side look which makes me nervous. "Why are you so invested in my bed?"

I am shocked by the hidden message behind his question. He is asking why I am so curious about it, but he is also messing with my head by insinuating that I want to be in his bed. I decide to mess with him back because why not? "Well I have been invited into your bed many times before..."

He stops walking and looks at me head on, "You're the one who chooses to stay in it."

I smirk at him, "What can I say? It's very inviting~" Why not mess with him more? It's fun to see his confidence fade into embarrassment. His serious demeanor fades as I take a step toward him where we are close together and place a hand on his chest, "I think you don't mind me being with you either." I lean in and whisper in his ears, seeing his face deepen in a red color as I talk, "A warm heart can melt a frozen one."

He stands still with me leaning on him and then gently pushes me back so that I am standing a reasonable distance from him. "Too bad my heart is of stone." He frowns. Right when he says that, his mother comes up behind us. Great...

"Who was sleeping with whom?" She asks with a worried voice. We quickly look at her and I take a step back, hitting Lance's chest. His hand is placed on my waist to pretend that we are together, but I can tell that he feels weirded out because his hand is shaking and not a lot of pressure was applied. I mentally roll my eyes at his nervousness.

Lance stands tall while addressing his mother, "We aren't sleeping together. We are just sleeping... together." His words get quieter as he finishes his sentence. His mother is skeptical of him but ends up smiling at us.

"Sleeping together tonight? But your bed is small. I will call for someone to fix that for you then." She winks at us and waits for Lance to agree. I look up at him with worry. I thought I was going to stay in my own guest room, but now his mother is trying to keep us in the same room.

"Uhm.." Lance looks back at me and then at his mother, "We actually want to be separate for now. You know, more comfort."

His mom tilts her head and purses her lips, "It shouldn't be a problem if you have already spent time together." She smiles at us, showing her pearly white teeth, "Plus, you both will be wed really soon, so why not?" She walks up to us and slightly passed us, "I will meet you both in a bit for lunch." I swear I saw her smirk as she passes us. Could she have known of our plan to trick them into thinking we are together?