Chapter 11: Play by her rules

There was no doubt about it that I had gotten a terrible cold. I awoke the next morning sneezing away and coughing until I thought my lungs were going to be heaved out of my chest. My head felt like it weighed one hundred pounds and my sinuses felt clogged. Toby insisted that I stay home, and I reluctantly agreed. I lay in bed, a pile of Kleenexes stacked next to my bed, and my laptop set up so I could watch movies. As awesome as that sounds, it got pretty old pretty fast. I was watching the clock, waiting for Jake and Toby to be back home from grocery shopping. I was delighted when my phone buzzed, and I picked it up, reading Jakes name.

Coming home soon, driving home right now. 

I sighed, resting my head back on my pillow. The disappointment settled in as I realized that I would be stuck by myself bored for a while. I caught a glance of myself in the mirror hanging on my door and my stomach dropped. I looked like utter shit. My hair was a mess, my face was red and splotchy and free of makeup, and I was wearing Tinkerbell pajama pants. There was no way I'd be able to live that down if they saw me in that. I anxiously wracked my brain, trying to figure out how to make myself look presentable. I heard the front door open, and my heart jumped into my throat.

Pretend your sleeping. 

I turned over quickly, pulling the blankets to my chin as I watched the door through squinted eyes. Footsteps were steadily coming up the stairs as my heart beat so loud that I wondered if he'd be able to hear it. My door groaned as it opened and I shut my eyes, trying to calm my breathing. It was silent for a couple of minutes, and I wondered if they had put my stuff down that I wanted from the store and then left. I very cautiously squinted my eyes again, and as Jake face popped into my vision right in front of me, I was unable to keep my facade. I jumped violently, scooting to the other side of the bed in a panic. His face cracked into a smile, his eyes shining as he laughed. My horror turned into anger and embarrassment.

"What the hell?" I shouted, my voice cracking in the process. He continued to laugh, sinking to the floor.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." he chuckled, grinning. His boyish grin was contagious, and as annoyed as I was, I couldn't help but smile.

"You're an asshole," I said darkly, shooting him a dirty look. He just shook his head in amusement.

"You know, you can't just walk into peoples room like that," I muttered, crossing my arms as I looked down at him. He rolled his eyes, running a hand through his hair.

"Toby told me to just go on in because there was no way you'd answer the door," he responded, and I inwardly cursed Toby. 

"You could've left the chips at the door, or on the kitchen table." I pointed out, my cheeks burning. He cocked his head to the side as he surveyed me.

"But I wanted to see how you were doing," he said with a grin, his blue eyes taunting me. I sneered, rolling my eyes.

"I don't want to see you. So, thanks for the chips, but you can leave now." I said, slightly ashamed at my rude tone of voice. He didn't seem fazed.

"Nah, I'm enjoying it right here," he said, his eyes daring me to do something about it. My eyes narrowed at Jake suspiciously, suddenly looking like the devil itself.

"Get out." I hissed, pointing to the door. He did nothing except sit on the floor and look up at me with his bright blue eyes. I gritted my teeth, violently arising from the bed and stomping over to him.

"Listen here-" My words escaped me as I tripped over the pile of the grocery bag full of chips, and I flew through the air right at Jake, whose eyes widened in surprise as I tumbled onto him, knocking him flat to the ground. The squeal that left my mouth as I was flying through the air ended in an 'oomph' and I lay there stunned. I opened my eyes, horrified to see myself on top of Jake, who lifted his head in a daze. My cheeks were on fire as I stared down at him, unable to move. His lips were parted in surprise, his strong jawline looking so perfect from this close. His surprise soon melted into a cocky smile, and he grinned up at me.

"What are you doing Ruby? Arent you Toby's girlfriend?" He asked laughing. "You could've just told me you wanted me, you didn't have to jump me." he teased, and I scrambled off of him, my ears bright red. I for once, was unable to utter a single word, feeling so flustered and embarrassed. I gave him a dark look.

"I didn't mean to," I muttered, sitting cross-legged on the floor. He sat up, his shirt lifted enough to expose his abs, making me angrier. 

"Sure you didn't, Ruby," he said, adjusting his shirt so that it lay flat over his torso once again.

"You're so cocky." I retorted, crossing my arms. His smile made my stomach flutter nervously in a strange way. He leaned forward, tucking a piece of my hair behind my ear as I stared at him, wide-eyed.

"And you are so oblivious to the fact that you want me," he said, making me roll my eyes. His hand floated down, stroking my hair softly as his eyes softened. He sent me a smile that made my knees weak.

"Are you fucking drunk Jake?" I asked rudely. 

"I'm just playing with you Ruby, I would never try to get with you, your Toby's girlfriend," He says knowingly.

"This is not playing get out please," I said anxiously. 

"Cute pajama bottoms by the way." he grinned, before he leaped to his feet, disappearing out the door while I blushed hard, glaring scornfully at my Tinkerbell bottoms.

Who did he this he was?

******