Bewilderment

Sorry I haven't written in so long. I've been sick with a respiratory virus, but I'm back now so let's get this thing started.

The guardians all looked at Bunny as if awaiting his explanation. 

Exasperated by the awkward silence Jack broke in, "What the heck is a winter spirit, and why did they all die?"

"Oh, that's what you all were waitin' for? I thought we were going for lunch. Okay then, the winter spirits were once one of the most powerful spirit families in the land. Soon after they hit their peak in the power scale, Pitch was born. An evil summer spirit was described to have gone up to the Frost castle and murdered every last one o 'em. Iris, the mother of the winter spirits, always kept a few containers of "the essence of fun" in her room. So when she heard her family being slaughtered she reached in her closet, got the jars and set the unborn spirits free. Legend says she released about a dozen o 'em. Her plan was to let the spirits float around until they found a worthy suitor to become part of. And we all see that's you, Jack." Bunny finished, pointing a furry finger in Jack's direction.

"Aren't all ancient spirits supposed to have their crest tattooed somewhere on their body?" North asked Bunny.

"Ermm .. Yeah, I'm pretty sure. Oy Jack! Let's see your back. Come on hop to it." Bunny directed.

Startled, Jack did as he was told. As the hem of the sweatshirt left his head the guardians could all see that he was extremely small for his age and very pale. 

"Do a spin for us, will you?" Bunny said

"Okay?" Jack stated confused as to why he had to do these things.

Jack turned around until his back was facing the guardians. What they saw confirmed all their suspicions. Engraved in Jack snowy skin was the blue winter family crest. The guardians all gasped as the crest looked as if the blue color had been washed away and was slowly turning to a dark shade of black.

Pitch Black