Chapter One: "Him"

"Turn your notebooks to a blank page and have a pencil ready. We're going to take some notes for language arts. When we are are finished, come over to my desk a grab this paper. Fill it out and hand it back to me when the period ends."

     The same old smell lurked around the room. The bitter, strong scent of the teacher's perfume traveling along the air and up my nostrils. I was tired of the smell. I glanced out the window, my left hand tapping the edge of my dusty desk with my mechanical pencil.

     "Mind stopping that, dude?" Jackson whispered over quietly to me. I nodded as a response, putting my pencil down next to my journal. Jackson is one of my very good friends, he was loud and optimistic guy, and surprisingly smart. He has good looks too, but he has a girlfriend. His girlfriend was devil though, but I won't dare say anything. Jackson can get ticked off very easily, he's not somebody to be messed with. He was team captain on the football team anyways.

     But yes, my name is Justin. It's an okay name for a Chinese boy such as I, my friends like to call me Mr. Ching Chong though. I don't really talk about my childhood and whatnot, there's not much to say. I move a lot, I'll say that. I've been to many schools, but South High School is one of the worst I've been to. The only thing I'm glad about is that I'm with my friends.

     I folded my arms across my desk as my eye-lids begin to close slowly. I fight and intervene my brain messages to order my eyes to close, I fight to stay awake. But my eyes shoot wide open when I hear the sound of the twisted door knob and the annoyingly loud noise of the creaking door.

     A short boy walks in halfway of the classroom, his shoulders sheepishly reaching up to touch the sides of his chubby, light pink cheeks. His sweater was over-size, the black sleeves taking over his small hands that I could slightly see through. His dark-brown hair seemed to glow under the sunlight, as if the gods placed a halo around his head. His hair looked so soft, so silky, so fluffy. Who was he? I asked myself. I was assuming he was a transfer kid, from another school I guess.

     "Is this room 401..?" He asked timidly, looking around at the many pairs of eyes staring up at him from the desks, including mine. We stared at each other for a few seconds before we got interrupted by the teacher, Mrs. Gonzalez.

     "Oh, yes yes. Are you by any chance.." she looked under a few papers which I thought had the cute- I mean new boy's name, "..Kairos Uribe?"

     He nodded quietly, I could tell he wasn't much of a talker. Just like me. You can't blame him, he's new. My homosexuality is starting to kick in.

     "Well welcome to our class Kairos," she gave him a positive smile as she gestured over to me. "Go ahead and take a seat next to Justin over there, you're lucky we have one open spot left."

     Kairos laughed awkwardly and silently to himself, walking over to the open desk next to mine. His voice was light and soothing, I could hear a bit of Mexican as he said different words too. I started to feel something for him. It wasn't sympathy, no, it wasn't anger. It wasn't exactly happiness, I don't know what word it was called. I couldn't get Kairos out of my head for some reason, I began to worry. Was this normal? Why did I feel this way? Overall, what am I feeling towards Kairos? I had an eager interest towards him that made me want to talk to him, but my common sense pulled me back. Maybe when first period ends, I'll try to hit him up with a few words.

     A few minutes later we all got to finish our notes, except of course, for the new kid. I think he's also an English learner with that cute Mexican accent he had. Dang it, there I go again. Blabbering about him in my head. Focus, Justin, focus.

     "Does anybody know the meaning of the word, 'cognizant'?" The teacher asked out loud, expecting at least a handful of students to raise their hands and respond. No one did, except for one guy.