Chapter Six: "Texting"

I looked down at the 10 numbers written on my arm in black Sharpie as I made my way down the street. The first three numbers were in parentheses, and afterwards followed by a dash. The next trio of numbers were not surrounded by those curves but were also followed by one other dash. That led four last numbers at the end of the line, and followed by two small hearts.

I could feel my face heat up a bit, and I didn't notice that I smiled until I glanced up at the street as cars drove by in various directions. I jogged slightly across the street when there were no cars at a halt by the stop sign. I pulled out my phone once I made it to the other side and looked down at my arm. I inhaled and exhaled before unlocking my phone and adding Justin's contact. I labeled his contact "Justin" and stared down at it for a few seconds. Should I text him? I asked myself.

I tried to come up with different conversations we would have if I had texted him. Would he ask me about what I was doing during that moment? Would he ask about my day so far? Would he... would he ask to see me again?

I mind wandered even further into that thought, the thought of Justin urging to see me again. But at the same time, what if he didn't want to see me?

It didn't seem reasonable though. After all, he did give me his number, and with two hearts beside it. Two hearts. One big one, the other being a small size.

I began to smile again as I saw those two hearts on my wrist. I looked down at my phone with Justin's contact again. I hesitated slightly before mustering up the courage of editing Justin's name to "Justin ♥♥". I smiled in satisfaction until running unexpectedly into a streetlight pole.

"Ow.." I mumbled angrily at myself as I put a hand on my forehead. I stood there staring at the pole, which as seconds passed by, made me feel more idiotic about myself. Pfft, my day could've gone way better. But I wish Justin's day went more smoothly too. Maybe I can give him an encouraging message I guess? I asked myself. It seemed like a good idea.

I turned on my phone again and pulled up on Justin's contact, pressing on the little box that wrote Text Message. I came up with several brief messages but none seemed to be worthy to be read by Justin's eyes. I walked down over to my house as I did so, thinking in my head of what I could type. I finally got an idea right before I unlocked the front door.

'hey, its kairos'

'it probably has been pretty tough for u lately (bc of me and i feel bad) but im still here for you'

'always ♡♡.'

I read it over multiple times to see if my messages were good enough, I didn't bother adding punctuation marks or capitalized letters. I wanted to make sure the message was perfect because I didn't want to mess things up in our relationship, which I think was going great so far I guess. I eventually pressed the Send button and stared at the green line below Justin's contact name as it slid to the right of the screen until it disappeared. When the message fully sent, I tucked my phone away in my pocket and unlocked the door with the keys in my backpack.

"Gramma? I'm home!" I said out loud for her to hear. Because of her old age she couldn't hear that well, so she can't always catch what I'm saying sometimes.

"You're back safe and sound!" The old white-haired woman came over with her cane and hugged me passionately as if I was gone for days and I finally came back from a mysterious trek. "How was school sweetie?" She walked over behind me just to close the door, and she turned back around to hear my response. She was the only person who really cared about me, so I'm very thankful to know her.

"Eh, school fine. I made a lot of friends surprisingly," I shrugged, gently hugging her back.

"Oh, already? That's good. Let's hope that they aren't like you old friends, the ones who kicked you to the ground and-"

"Beat me up, whatever. I don't like remembering that day," I sighed as I tucked my hands into the pockets of my Nike sweater. That day was horrible and I hated every second of it. It gave me nightmares and trillions on insecurities, it impacted in my personality and thinking. I wish I could've just erased that tragic memory, but it was impossible. "But the people became friends with are actually really nice. They're the nicest people at school from what I've seen." It was the truth.

"That's a good thing that you're reaching out to them, it makes me happy to know you found good people. Now come, come. I made some food for you to eat. I left a bowl of carbonara pasta on the table."

I took off my backpack and set it down against the wall, nodding and smiling at my grandmother before walking over to the dinner table. I grabbed the bowl and headed upstairs into my room, gently closing the door behind me and sitting down on my desk.

I felt several light buzzes in the back pocket of my jeans, I rarely had those. Maybe Justin had replied back to my message, I thought. I took one ginormous bite of my grandmother's delicious food and pulled out my phone from my pocket. I checked the notification and felt a heartbeat in my chest when I read his contact name. I smiled and opened up my phone, reading his message.

'wow.. thanks'

'i wish you wouldn't worry so much because i don't want you to get worked up over a person like me. but thanks shorty ♥︎♥︎♥︎'

I let out a small giggle, feeling satisfied that I made his day. I began to type:

'i can't help but worry, ur my friend, ur welcome though'

The three dots appeared in the lower left corner of the screen, indicating that Justin was typing even more messages.

     We were texting each other for hours straight until he announced that he had to leave. He was at Jackson's house after all. I was assuming Jackson's mom had set a bedtime for them. It was getting pretty late too. We talked about all sorts of things and Justin gave me a little feedback on the history of his friend squad. I surprised to know that Justin's other friends had similar circumstances compared to me. We all had lost something important, and that made me feel like I fit in a bit more. 

     I knew I couldn't text him forever, and that made my heart sink a little before I turned off the lights and shut my eyes closed before heading to sleep.