Chapter Two: "Why?"

I felt wet, agonizing tears flying down my cheeks that plopped onto the ground, which disappeared into the distance as I ran further away from room #401.

     I ended up in front of the school, sitting down on the edge of the stairs and pulling my knees to my chest as I tried to fit myself on one step. I was tiny enough, but that's the problem. I'm little, I'm weak, I'm only 5'7. I'm fragile and sensitive, and that's what most people aim for since it's my total weakness.

     It's exactly what that girl did to me and Justin, god I already hate her. I'm used to getting this sort of treatment, but on the other hand, I'm also not used to it. You know what I mean?

     There's a lot of people that are openly gay in this world, I admire them a lot for that. But there are so many people who give so much criticism too. I remember when I first came out to my two closest friends. It.. didn't end so nicely I guess.

~ 4 months earlier ~

     "There's something I need to tell you both.." I said a bit nervously to my best friends, Carter and Jason. I've known them since the 4th grade, but even then, I was still nervous about coming out to them. "Don't freak out though, 'kay?"

     "Yeah, what is it dude?" Carter said as smoke escaped his mouth and fading into the air, his index and middle finger holding a lighted cigarette and a lighter in his other hand. Jason was waiting for me to say whatever I wanted to say.

     I inhaled and exhaled, starting slowly, "I don't exactly like girls.. I- I'm more attracted to dudes." I paused to see their reaction, but I continued, "I'm gay."

     They both gave me a look, which I could tell that they didn't believe what I had admitted.

     Jason snickered, "Psh, no you're not. Homosexual people are gross as hell."

     That statement hurt me emotionally, but I replied back to him, "I'm not kidding, this is serious."

     Jason's expression went from a teasing one to a serious one, and the tone of his voice began to change. It became more deeper and threatening, and scary to say the least. "That's fucking idiotic, Kairos."

     Carter nodded in response, holding the cigarette to his mouth and approaching me. I walked back from him, but my was leaning against the wall and I had no where to go.

     "Kairos, Kairos, Kairos.." he repeated my name, putting a hand on his shoulder. Before he said something he blew the smoke from my mouth to my face, "Who the fuck do you think you are? Your hormones are being attracted to long dick and shit."

     I coughed and fanned the smoke away with my left hand, my legs trembling in fear and disbelief. 'Why are they being like this?' I asked myself.

     I found myself on the sidewalk ground, blood spurting from my mouth and my stomach and flowing out to the cement, staining it with red warm blood. My vision began to blur, but I could still see the backs of Carter and Jason walking away from me, and I could still hear their malicious laughs echoing around in my head. It echoed until I woke up in a hospital, my grandmother beside me.

     When I had recovered, I didn't go to school at all for the next 4 months. I was too scared and too paranoid. My anxiety took over control of my brain; I always had nightmares every night. I had depression, I cut myself. My grandmother talked me into going to therapy, and it helped. I gained a little more confidence and my grandmother suggested I go back to school, a different school so that I could have a new start. I don't know what made me agree to that plan at the time, I really regret it now though.