Chapter Five: "Red, Yellow, Green"

I opened my eyes. Why is it raining?  I questioned myself as I stared at the rain drops hitting against the window and nearby plants. Pitter, patter, they went. The silence in the nurse's room made the rain drops bang loudly, and it made my head ache.

     "Justin? You awake?" Kairos was sitting on the edge of the bed, I felt his eyes watching me. His voice was soothing and it got rid of my headache. I rose upright on the bed, but I struggled and let out a grunt.

     "No, lay down. Relax..." he sighed, his hands on my shoulders and gently pushing me down on the bed.

     I gave up and obeyed his instructions, laying down on the bed. I looked over at Kairos and said, "I'm going to be fine, stop worrying."

     "What do you expect me to do? The nurse had to go to the office for a meeting and she told me to take care of you until she came back."

     "It's not like you're my mom.."

     "I'm not, but I'm your friend. Let me take care of you, I owe you a ton anyway."

     I felt my cheeks fluster, and I couldn't come up with something to say. I just laid there, staring out of the window again.

     "Do your wounds still hurt..?" He asked slowly.

     I felt my stomach, it still throbbed with pain. There were huge cuts on my face too, and I immediately pulled my hand away when I touched near it. Any expression I made caused a lot of pain, it frustrated me. "Yeah.."

     "Let me clean you up then. Your cuts could get infected if they're left open like that." Kairos stood up from the bed and looked through cabinets for stuff to clean my face with.

     I managed to sit up, but my stomach hurt while I did so. I leaned my back against the wall and stared at Kairos scrambling through the cabinets.

     Kairos came over after grabbing an ice pack and a damp towel from the counter. He sat beside me and handed me the ice pack, "Hold this to your stomach, it should help."

     I glanced down at it, then back up at Kairos. "But Kairos-"

     "No buts, please, just take it." He placed it in my hands.

     Alright, fine. I took the ice pack and held it to my stomach and to where the pain was. I lifted my head again to see if there were any other things he wanted me to do.

     "Hold still, it might hurt a little so I apologize in advance.." Kairos put a hand on an area of my face that wasn't wounded and held me closely and steadily, beginning to clean the dried blood on my cuts.

     "O-ow.." I muttered, trying my best to stay still. I stared at him as he continued to clean it.

     "I'm sorry, Justin. Hold still please?"

     "Mmm," I looked at him and didn't move, as still as a statue. My cheeks began to blush a deep red. I hoped Kairos didn't notice.

     Kairos seemed to show a little smile during that moment, and he pulled his hands away and just stared at me.

     "Why are you smiling?"

     "Your face is red, you look embarrassed." He laughed quietly.

     I looked away from him, staring out of the window to avoid the awkwardness.

     "I think it's cute, don't worry about it."

     "I'm a stupid mess right now because of you," I laughed quietly, finally looking up at him.

     Kairos smiled and motioned me to come closer to resume cleaning my face.

     I stayed still again for him, and he eventually finished cleaning my bace and began putting band-aids on the cuts all over my face.

     "Ta-da." He said, laughing quietly. "You feel better yet?"

     Kairos innocence made me feel better. "Yeah, I guess," I smiled.

**"Just kanoodle already >:(" - Riley

     I was able to go home later that day. Kairos had been with me, or at least he kept an eye on me from afar. I guess he really meant that he wanted to make sure I was okay. But the question that really matters was if he was okay. After all, he was the one that everybody was targeting, from that infuriating Stephanie to those "not-so-intimidating" triple trouble-makers. He looked so frightened and scared when I saw those guys threaten him. I don't know what made me protective back then, so I can't hold back these thoughts now. 

     The bell had rung the last time for the school day, and I watched as the school flooded out with students of different sizes and looks. I walked out as well, sitting down on the front steps with my friend Jackson, who was already there. I was going to stay at his place for a couple days since we had tomorrow, the weekend, and Monday off. We planned to play loads of video games, especially League of Legends.

     "Dude," Jackson started scooting over to show me something on his phone. "Look at what Jonathan posted."

     I laughed quietly, "Wow, looks like he's having a great time in Japan. With all those Japanese figurines from McDonalds."

     I felt a gentle tap on my shoulder and I immediately looked behind me. Oh, it's the little cutie, I said to myself. "Oh, hey there Kairos," I smiled up at him.

     He waved and sat down beside me, "Hi, aren't you supposed to be going home?"

     "Well, uh, I'm staying over at Jackson's house for the night, his cousin is gonna drive us back home."

     "More like 'night' with an 's'." Jackson laughed quietly as he put an arm around me.

     "Oh, okay. I bet you guys are gonna have tons of fun." Kairos smiled slightly, pulling his knees to his chest and resting his head on his knees. 

     I felt bad for saying that, he looked really lonely. I began to stutter, "Well, uh, I would be nice if we could hang out sometime too. Y'know, you and I."

     Kairos looked up at me, his eyes seemed to sparkle. "Really?"

     "Yeah, why not?" I patted his shoulder.

     Jackson suddenly called my name, which ruined the moment once more. "Justin, we're going now."

    "Oh, alright," I said to Jackson, standing up and looking down at Kairos. It was going to be a long weekend and I wanted to keep in touch with him for those days. "Uh, Kairos, do you have a black pen or anything?"

     "Yeah..." he pulled out a black Sharpie from out of his backpack, holding it up for me to see. "Why?"

     "Do you mind if I write something on your arm?"

     Kairos hesitated but nodded, "Just don't make it too big."

     I gently took his wrist and wrote my number on it, small enough to not be noticed but big enough to read. "Text or call whenever you need me, okay?"

     I saw Kairos' face turn deep red, and he smiled up at me. "Thank you."

     I smiled back happily at him before Jackson took me by the jacket sleeve and walked towards his cousin's car. We got inside, but I kept staring at Kairos until I could no longer see his face. I kept staring until I saw the streetlights turn red, yellow, and green.