8. Welcome to Carina

It didn't take long for us to pass through an improvised wooden palisade which run around the outer city ring. The numerous guards posted along the palisade doesn't seem to see us as threat and let us pass easily. Do they not recognize Lana?

Now that I'm looking at it from up close, this city is massive. At the outermost layer, wooden palisade acts as the first defensive fortification. Beyond it are vast swath of farmlands. The farms are properly irrigated with an elevated mason structure with water flowing on it. These are aqueducts.

I'll be honest, I didn't expect this type of architecture. I expected the engineering in this world to be comparable to the early medieval ages, but apparently it's closer to the good ol' classical ages. Roman constructions and shit.

Whoa, are these buildings made out of concrete? I'm impressed. This really is classical Roman Empire, isn't it? These constructions are better than what I imagined.

The dirt paths have now been replaced with cobblestone. There aren't many residential buildings here. Only guard outposts and agricultural buildings such as storehouses, tool sheds, and mills. Further in the distance, an imposing concrete wall stands tall and mighty.

That wall is easily taller than 15 meters. Way taller than the average height of city wall back on Earth. Tall crenelation juts outward and spread evenly along the wall. Towers erected themselves and segmented the walls into equal pieces. Flags are raised on top of each towers, signifying who's the current lord of this city.

"Wow. This is better than I expected." Words slipped out of my mouth in awe.

"What did you expect?" Lana asked.

"You know.. wooden huts, stone buildings. Archaic stuffs."

"Rude. Carina is the crown jewel and the capital of Margraviate of Alstein, you know." Lana explained to me.

"Margraviate? This city is on the border then?" I asked.

"It is, but not the way you probably think. Alstein is located at the northernmost tip of the Empire, but there is no sovereign state to the North of Alstein; only the Forsaken Region. We're not defending the Empire from foreign invaders, we're defending them from the Old Ones."

"Forsaken Region?" This seems complicated. To be honest, I don't really care. I just wanted to have small talks.

"Do you really wanna know? It'll take a while." Lana said with the usual smirk.

"Yeah, sure. We still have a long way to go anyway." I said as I prepared my ears.

"Well, to put it short: before the Age of Silence were the Age of Gods. And before the Age of Gods were the Age of Giants. Forsaken Region are simply regions where the ancient remains of the giants are. These remains emit an enormous amount of mana even to this day, resulting in the creation of many horrible monsters we call the Old Ones. Simple enough, right?"

"... yeah. I think I got it." I said while blinking my eyes. "So you can explain things concisely. I thought you liked blabbering on and on about these things."

"I do. But you don't seem to be interested." She put on a smile.

She got me there. I'm not interested, it's true.

Suddenly a band of heavily armored soldiers on horse back galloped toward us at high speed.

"Here we go.." Lana lets out a tired sigh. Is this a common occurrence for her? Being a noble must be tough.