20. This Is Where The Story Opens Up

The Adventurer's Guild branch is nothing but a hastily built wooden house with the smell of blood, metal, and sweat mixing together coming from within it. The sun is still shy on the horizon and no souls wander the streets. There are the occasional guards patrol, but they don't seem to notice me thanks to the illusion sorcery.

"Good morn--" I greeted while pushing the door to the guild, only to find it locked. "Yo! Anybody home?" I called inside while peeking into the windows.

A guard who just happen to be walking behind me noticed what I was doing and made his way toward me. I guess illusion sorcery aren't omnipotent. Alright, let's act like I'm surprised.

"Little girl? Are you lost?" He softly asked me as he touched my shoulder.

"Kyaa!" I faked screamed. The scream that came out was monotone, though. The guard is eyeing me suspiciously now.

"You... are you okay? Can you see?" He noticed my eyeless mask.

"Oh this?" I touched the eye area of my mask, "it's magical. I can see through it, hahaha."

The perfect lie. I've read about weirder magical objects from the books before. A one way mask is nothing special. Just say that it's magic and everybody will believe it.

"Ah I see!" He said with absolutely no trace of suspicion. Are you really a guard? You're too gullible, you fool!

"I'm trying to enter the guild, but it's locked. Do you know when it'll be open?" I tried asking him.

"Hmm.." the man scratched the stubble on his chin, "I don't know why a little girl like you would enter the Adventurer's Guild, but the guild open around 7."

"Ah I see. Thank you, mister!" I said with a bright smile. The man blushed after seeing me smile. Wha-- I'm a kid! Is he a lolicon? Dangerous. "Um... do you know what time is?"

"I'm not sure, but there is a clock at the town center. The church also ring their bell every hour." He explained to me.

"And this town center is where?"

"My shift is about to end actually. The barrack is also near the town center, I can guide you there!" He said spiritedly.

"Very smooth."

"What?"

"I said, It'd be great if you could guide me!" I quickly corrected myself.

He held out his hand toward me. Yeah, no thanks. For a brief second, disappointment streaked across his face.

It barely took 5 minutes before we arrived at the town center. It's an open pentagonal space with big wooden buildings around it. Judging by the signs hanging from the structures, these buildings are inns, bars, barracks, weapons and armors store, and magic store. Some buildings don't have any sign, so I think they're private residence. Probably.

Why they would build a house and decide to live in front of a city crawling with monsters is beyond me. People be crazy.

At the center of the open space is a lone pole holding up a round clock up. It's still 5:30. Looking deeper inside the clock, I can see mana flowing from a round object into all the different gears in the clock. Magic sure is convenient.

Speaking of convenient magic, there are no magic streetlamps here. Only candles, lanterns, and torches. I guess Carina City is the exception, not the norm.

"Well, there you have it. 5:30." The man said as we arrive. "I'm going to the barrack now. What are you going to do?"

I looked around and my eyes landed at the bar. The doors are open and sounds of glass clinking into each others can be heard. "I think I'll go there," I pointed my finger at it.