15. Goodbye

Let me paint you a scene.

You were lost in a forest. The first  couple of humans you met cut your head off. Fortunately, you can't die! Great, so what do you do now? For me, I walked in the opposite direction of where the humans were. Oh boy, look at that! A damsel in distress. Your adventurous spirits burn and you saved her. As thanks she invite you to her home, fed you, let you sleep in the same bed. She's the kindest human you've met so far, albeit a bit evil in a joking manner. You met the rest of her family and found out she is a literal princess living in a palace. Her family allows you to live in the palace. The future isn't looking too bad!

Now let me paint you another scene.

The girl you met is now strewn all over the hallway. Her limbs are scattered away from each other, only connected by a thin fiber of torn flesh and skin. Not even her eyes got the chance to close themselves before her consciousness was unjustifiably taken from her, permanently forcing a pained expression on her bloodied face. Chunks of her carved out meat are still pulsating, clinging to the last bit of life they had.

And it's all your fault.

"No..." I fell on my knee as I saw her corpse. "I'm sorry..." I begged for apologies.

I curled up on the ground in front of the hallway painted by her blood. My mind goes blank. What should I do now? I did this. This is my fault. I shouldn't have came here.

This is my fault

My fault

My fault

My ͝f̀a͘u͠lţ 

M̶̨y ͝f͝a̷̵u̧lt̶̀҉ 

M̶̸ý̸̷̴҉ ̧̛͟҉f̛҉̧á̸̕ú̶͢͢ļ́̀͢t͏̡͜͟͠  

I stayed in a curled up position for a long time. From beyond the windows the sun raised and then set and then raised again. The rancid smell coming from her corpse were intensifying and then subsided. I can't feel hunger nor thirst. Not even drowsiness.

I already knew. I'm not human.

I knew it the moment I lost control of my mind. I knew it the moment my body transformed into a monster. I knew it the moment I started destroying the city, even though I shouted in desperation to stop. But I can't stop. I'm not in control.

By the time I managed to take back control, it was already too late. Seas of tentacles filled all corner of the city. The marvelous golden towers have fallen and crushed the part of the city they fell too. The palace itself has crumbled beneath me, merely an empty husk of what it was less than a few hours ago.

If only I was able to hold it in. If only I was stronger. This is my fault

I can still sense life coming from the city. I don't know why but it seems like the entire city has been registered as part of the palace. I can see everything in the city, just like how I can see everything in the palace. There are survivors still. I can save them. No, I must save them. To atone for what I've done. This is the least of what I can do.