Asking To Be A Model

When he saw your eyes, it hit him that it was for real. You knew it was going to be quite the scene convincing him of this. You sat in your home in L.A. staring at the pictures on your fathers desk. He sat down looking at them all, tracing them with his finger tips and taking deep breaths not knowing what to say. He traced the words on the parental consent form. He looks up at you with confused eyes.

“Why now honey I don’t understand?” his eyes lingered on you waiting for a response. You toyed with your hands in your lap unsure of what to say.

“I just…. think it’s the right time. Everyone is always saying I should do it. That I’m throwing away an opportunity if I don’t.” You stared at your hands thinking of all the people in your lives that have called you ungrateful and spoiled. The people who said that actors children have so many more chances than everyone else. To take the offers and be grateful.

Jared stood up and paced back and forth before stopping at the window to gaze out at the hills of hollywood. 

“I don’t care what other people say. I care about you. I care that you’re not doing this because you really want to.” he brushed his hair back out of his face and walked over to you. He saw you trying to avoid eye contact with him and got on his knees in front of you to see your face. He grabbed your hands and cradled them in his. “I don’t want you feeling pressured to do anything you’re not comfortable with honey.”

You looked at your father and saw the worry in his eyes. You thought about all the photoshoots he had done, the models he hung out with, the world he had made a career out of.

“Is it so impossible to believe that I can make decisions for myself? That I can take care of myself?” you said with slight anger in your voice. He noticed the change in attitude and gently caressed your hands to comfort you.

“You’re just a teenager, you don’t have to and shouldn’t have to take care of yourself. That’s what I’m here for.” He let out a sigh and broke eye contact with you. “I don’t want you doing this. You don’t know what that world is like honey.”

You stood up and pulled your hands out of his grasp and walked over to the window and curled up next to it. Taking in the same sight he did when he was stressed. 

“I know more about that world than you think I do dad. I grew up in it remember? You’re the one who decided to join it. I’ve always been apart of it I’m just…” you twirled a strand of hair in between your fingers. “I’m just embracing it now is all.” 

Since you were a little girl this is what he had been afraid of. He saw the daughters of other musicians and actors take the leap into modeling. He had always told himself he wasn’t going to let his little girl do that. He wanted more for you than the shallowness of hollywood, wanted to keep you from the perverted underworld of entertainment, away from the people he was sure only wanted to expose and use you.

“Don’t you think the pictures came out okay? Don’t you think I could do it?” your self confidence had always been a problem. You thought about people only wanting you for your name and not because you had talent. It frustrate you how nothing ever seem to be the right move. People would tell you to take advantage of your opportunity and then turn around and say you only got the gig because of your name. 

“Oh honey..” Jared stood up and went over to you. “Of course you can do it. You’re such a beautiful and strong girl I have no doubt you can accomplish whatever you put your mind to.” 

“Then what’s the big deal? I mean I take some pictures and then I get paid. I could put that money towards college or put it away in savings and I could-” he cut you off.