Jared And Your Stepfather

Jared stood at the front door, taking a moment to let the fact that he was finally going to see you sink in, happy that the day had finally come. It had only been three days but he missed you like crazy. He knocked on the door and waited to hear your footsteps running to it to welcome him like you always had since you were little, but he didn’t hear anything. He knocked louder getting impatient waiting to see you when the door opened and there he stood. The man that had married your mother and became your, the words unsettled his stomach, stepfather.

Jared stood there surprised, expecting to see you, in front of the clean cut, shaven, suit wearing man paralleled against his torn jeans, flannel, and messy hair. Night and day, he thought to himself, it’ll never cease to amaze me. 

Hey man! Welcome back, come in. (y/n) is just finishing packing.” He said moving aside to welcome your father in.

Pfffff ‘man’ what is he trying to be cool now? Jared thought as he walked in, stone faced, not saying a word. The two men walked into the living room and when you heard the front door shut you grabbed your bags and rushed down stairs. When Jared saw you his heart began to flutter and a huge grin covered his face. You ran over and wrapped your arms around his waist resting your head on his chest. He put his chin on the top of your head and rubbed your back. 

“I missed you so much.” he said closing his eyes taking in the moment. 

“I missed you too.” you squeezed him tight before pulling away to go sit on the couch.

Jared was slightly jolted by the brief hug, expecting that you wanted him to pick you up and spin you around and get a hundred kisses. “Uh baby we should get going, I’ll get your bags.” he walked over to pick up the luggage you dropped at the bottom of the stairs when he felt a hand rest on his arm. He looked up and it was your mother, 

“Hey not so fast! I need to say bye to my baby before you whisk her away.” your mother smiled softly and Jared laughed before pulling her into a hug.

“Good to see you, make it quick though you’ve had her for too long.” he tickled your mothers side causing her to giggle before she joined you on the couch. Jared picked up your bags and went to place them by the front door. When he walked back in he saw your stepfather give your mother a passionate kiss before picking you up and giving you a big hug goodbye. He felt a strange tension in his chest. It had been years since he had and your mother had decided to go their separate ways, but something inside him still considered the two of you his girls. When he saw the man step into the husband and father role his jealousy made him long for it to be the three of you again. He marched over to the couch and extended his hand for you to grab. You reached up and he pulled you into his arms and tickled both your sides causing you to squirm and laugh.

“Dad come on I’m too old for this! Stop it!” you said playfully pushing him away.

“Oh excuse me I forgot you’re 16. That means you’re a big shot!” He brushed your hair behind your ears taking in the beautiful face he couldn’t wait to take home.

“Don’t worry she gave us the same speech this weekend.” your mom said admiring the scene.

“Yeah” your stepdad chimed in “I’m lucky I even got a goodnight kiss out of her!” 

Everyone in the room smiled at his tender words besides your father. A goodnight kiss? Jared thought. No that’s my thing with her, I always give her a goodnight kiss. You looked up at your dad and saw him blanking out. You were worried something like this would happen. You always felt bad leaving your father alone in the big house, he would never admit it to anyone but you could tell it was hard for him to see your mom move on. 

“Well I guess your right” you said looking up at him “It’s about time we leave I miss my bed.” You gave your mom and stepfather one last hug goodbye before everyone started to head to the door. 

Jared picked up your bags and your mom opened up the front door and you guys began to head out. 

“Oh wait dad where’s my blue gucci jacket?” you said in suddenly

“It’s in the car -”

“You didn’t bring it -”

Both Jared and your stepfather answered the question for ‘dad’ at the same time and it was like the whole world froze. Jared’s jaw dropped slightly and his knees started to feel weak. It was so blatant that it bothered him that even your stepdad realized what he had done was bad. Jared cleared his throat before repeating his sentence so your stepdad wouldn’t continue his.

“I believe my daughter was talking to her father” Jared said, now clearly annoyed and trying to show his dominance. Your mother put her hand on your stepdads shoulder, signaling for him to just let Jared be Jared. “It’s in the car baby, I figured you would want to wear it on the way home.”

“Oh.. thanks. I do!” you said “By guys thank again for the weekend!” you said wanting to act as normal as possible, but that was thrown out the window when you sprinted as fast as you could to the car. Jared didn’t even say anything else to them he just placed your bags in the back seat before hopping in and reeving the engine loudly to take you home.

You saw the gucci jacket on the back of the seat and slipped it off to wrap around you. It was two sizes too big for you but you loved wearing your dads stuff. He was silent on the car ride which was unusual for him. You turned on the radio to help ease the mood. Nirvana came on and you turned it up a notch and leaned back, you knew Kurt would make him relax. You looked over at your father, he wasn’t angry, in fact for the first time you didn’t know what his face meant.

“It’s my jacket by the way.” he said sternly out of nowhere.

‘What?” you asked confused.

“You asked where your blue gucci jacket was. It’s my gucci jacket young lady.” He turned his head and smirked at you, he loved to tease you.

“That’s why I like it!” you teased back. You sighed in relief that he said something. You knew your father liked to keep certain emotions to himself, he didn’t want to seem weak to you. So you got ready to confront what you guessed the problem was. “I can stop calling him dad if you want.” you said timidly.

Jared sighed and looked out the window, adjusting his hands on the wheel. “Oh baby… it’s not that.” When you guys got to a red light he stopped and ran both hands through his hair. “I’m glad you’re comfortable with him, it’s just the first time I ever heard you call him that. It was real fuckin strange ya know kid?” he spoke softly and his honesty touched you. You were used to him being jealous of boyfriends but didn’t take time to consider just how much a stepdad would impose on him. You were at a loss as to what to say. “I didn’t have a dad so when I got you I…” he hesitated as the light turned green and he turned onto the street where home was. “I just don’t like sharing you I guess.” You knew there was more beneath the surface but you got the point and knew grandpa, you didn’t even like calling him that, was a touchy subject.

“No one can ever replace you.” you turned your whole body in the seat to face him. “You’re my favorite guy okay?” you poked his shoulder causing him to smile. Jared felt a wave of relief wash over him as you guys pulled into the drive way. He knew in the big picture that this guy wasn’t a threat, it was still nice to hear you say that stuff to him. “I mean no one else buys me all this gucci.” you joked at him.

“Oh gee” he laughed out loud “That makes me feel better.” you both jumped out of the car and he went around to get your bags while you took in the sight of the house.

“I really missed being with you, missed the house.” you intertwined your arm with his and walked to the front door.

“Kid, I can’t tell you how much I missed you.” He pulled out his keys and unlocked the front door moving aside so you could walk in.

“Know what would make me miss it more daddy?” you skipped past him 

“What baby?” he said with a smirk still on his face.

“A puppy!” 

“Keep dreaming.” he said walking behind you. The sight and thought of you back at home with him put him back at ease.