Comfort After A Nightmare (shortshot)

Jared was wide awake with the lights on tossing and turning in his bed at 3am. He loved performing with the band and was so excited to start touring again, but it meant he would have to be away from you until school break started. It had been forever since the two of you were away from each other for an extended time, he was thinking about when you were little and would crawl into his bed after the nightmares. 

Your words echoed in his head saying that you were fine and could handle it, but he still stayed up and waited to hear your feet tip toeing to the door. He smirked when he saw the shadow on the floor and saw the doorknob jiggle, he prided himself in always being right when it came to you. He wanted to tease you so he pretended to be asleep. 

You opened up the door as quietly as possible and peaked your head in. You saw your dads eyes closed and gently shut the door. You figured he was asleep so you turned off the light and walked over to the end on his bed. You crawled under the covers and peaked your head out at top and slowly snuggled next to him. When Jared heard you sniffling he couldn’t pretend anymore and his eyes shot open as he turned to face you.

“Baby why are you crying? Was the nightmare that bad? he spoke softly

“I didn’t mean to wake you up dad.” you said trying to hold your tears in. 

Jared wrapped his arms around you and pulled you into him. He pulled the blanket closer to you and tucked it in on your sides. He turned on his back and you rested your head on his chest taking in the rhythm of his heart beats. He stroked your hair with one arm curled around you and caressed your arm with the other.

“You didn’t wake me up, I was just playing. I figured you’d come in here eventually.” he kissed the top of your head and whispered to you “and I’m always right.” You laughed and the urge to cry went away as his warmth took over. “Want to tell me what the dream was about?” As soon as he asked you felt the urge come back.

Jared felt your body tense up when he asked about it and immediately felt bad. He searched his mind for something else to say to make you feel better.

“Actually dad, I prefer we just go to sleep.” you said sternly. Jared felt his chest tighten thinking he ruined a chance to get into your head and help you. You were just like him, bottling up your emotions when all he wanted was for the glass to shatter and you pour your thoughts out to him. He couldn’t think of anything to say but he knew something he could do. 

Jared slowly pulled his body out from under yours and stood out of bed and walked into his closet. You pulled the blanket up to your chin confused as to what he was doing. You heard some rustling before he walked back out with his favorite flannel. He unfolded it and walked back over the bed and held it out for you to put your arms into. You got out from under the blankets and smiled. 

“I know this always helps you.” he smirked as you put it on. He tucked his hands under your hair and pulled it over the collar. “Better now?” he cupped your face in his hands looking into your eyes. He nodded at him while the last tear fell from your face. He wiped it away with his thumb. “Okay kiddo scoot over.”

He climbed back into bed and the two of you resumed your position. This time you cuddled against his side and he held you in his arms more firmly.

“I’m going to miss you so much. We haven’t done this in forever.” you said before closing your eyes.

Jared twirled your hair in his hands and let out a sigh, “then we’ll have to do what we used to do when you were little.” a knowing smile escaped your lips. “Remember mom took you to the beach when I was away? I’d call her and you’d take the phone.”

“And then we’d both point to the sunset at the same time” you continued the memory.

“I’d ask if you could see me cause i’d see you” he finished it and planted a kiss on your forehead.

“And I was convinced my eyesight was shit. Yeah you’re such a liar” you teased him laughing.

“Hey I’m an actor after all.” he laughed and rested his head back on his pillow closing his eyes. “Goodnight baby.”