On Set With Nick Lowell (Short)

Jared sat in his trailer, dressed in his three piece black suit for his next scene. He was trying to stay in the mindset of Nick Lowell and prepare, but he couldn't help that his daughter seemed off. She was being quiet and distant with him spending all her time on her phone, it was driving him crazy. They only had a short time together in Japan before she had to head home for school.

He had tried to talk to her the night before, but she brushed it off and ignored him. Jared wished he could be more forceful and pry, but he didn't have the heart to act tough with her. He tried to approach it gently but she wasn't giving in. He couldn't let his baby think it was okay for her to keep things from him and couldn't let her continue on being upset.

So he figured if he couldn't get her to talk, he'd tap into his character and try it his way. He needed to get read for the scene anyway, it would help them both.

"Baby" he began sitting up straight "Get over here".

You shot from your phone and gave him a strange look, his tone was different. It was more stern and demanding. When your eyes met his, they seemed to grow a shade darker matching his black hair. You could tell he was ordering and not asking.

You stood up and made your way across his trailer over to him. Your dad grabbed your hand and pulled you onto his lap. You wrapped your arms and hands around his shoulders. Whenever he pulled you onto his lap it meant a talk was coming. But he just stared up at you, brow furrowed.

"What daddy?" you said annoyed, before going back to texting.

"Don't take that tone with me" he said taking the phone from your hands.

"Hey!" you cried trying to reach for it but he held you firmly in place.

"Now you're going to talk to me and tell me what's wrong". His voice was deep and harsh. You could tell something was up, he never put his foot down like this before.

He sent your phone down to the side and moved his hand back to adjust his tie. When you saw that, the gold watch that completed his costume and he'd never wear in real life, combined with the dark look in his eyes you knew what he was doing.

"Or you'll live in the 50's with me and no phone" he said with a raised eyebrow, seeing that you were catching on.

"Dad I know what you're doing. But it's not going to-"

"Try me" he said cutting you off. Something else he'd never do. He was committed to testing this and being in character. "Maybe your dad Nick can help if you won't talk to Jared".

His voice soothed out, you saw a glimpse of something else that was there. He was hurt. Now you felt a bit guilty for pushing him away.

"Come on" he said tickling your side.

You sighed deeply before beginning, and tightened your grip around his shoulders. Jared saw it was going to be difficult for her to get out. He pulled her closer and placed a gentle kiss on her cheek.

"I guess saying it out loud it's a little ridiculous but... there's this...someone and I really like them... but there's.."

"I'll kill them".

"Wh..what?"

"I will kill them. Don't even think about it" Jared liked the confidence being in character of Nick gave him.

"Okay then Nick" you said sarcastically "going to get the yakuza on them?"

Jared pulled his daughter close so she fell against his chest and began to tickle her more. "Yeah what if I do? Got a problem with that?" he was just happy to see her laugh genuinely again.

She pushed off of him and sat up on his knee again.

"You know I mean that. If this person hurts you I'll kill them. Don't need to be in character for that".

You took a moment to smile down at your father. Nick Lowell wasn't so bad.

"Since when did I say you were allowed to date anyway? I forbid it" he took on his deep and threatening voice again.

"Since I decides that I liked someone" you said defiantly.

"Careful little girl. You are talking to a gangster. You know you can't date anyone until I meet them and approve. You can't trust anybody".

"Now you sound like a gangster, so paranoid" you rested your head on his shoulder, revealed he was able to make you smile.

"I have to be. I have to protect my girl" he ran his hand up and down her back for comfort. Taking in the moment with with his little girl. In his arms she helped Nick's ego boost, those possessive and defensive instincts he needed for the movie.

You pulled your head off his shoulder and met his eyes again, still more to say. "I have no idea how to tell if they like me. They've been flirting with others but telling me how much they want to..."

"Want to what?" Jared said aggressively

"You know and I just wish they'd be more straight forward"

Jared was seething with anger that anybody would try and get anything from his baby. He began gritting his teeth and his jaw clenched. A knock on the trailer door interrupted them.

"5 minutes!" the voice called out.

"Well Nick you ready?" you said standing up to head out.

"How about you just focus on me. Having fun here. Don't worry about anything. When I come home we'll deal with it. You wouldn't be allowed to see this someone when I'm not there anyway so why worry?"

"Guess you're right. I'll try okay?" you said, still a thousand questions burning but relieved too.

Jared shot a quick smile at his girl before standing up. They headed to the set and she jumped in his chair near the director while he found his mark. The scene was simple. Gangster vs gangster. Nick had to be brutal, violent and vengeful. He picked the perfect time to be in character hear what his daughter had to say.

When the director yelled action he focused all his anger in the scene. Letting Nick Lowell take over. He envisioned beating the shit out of anybody who touched his daughter or meant her harm.

You sat to the side, surprised yourself with how dedicated he got. If what he was acting out was any hint at how he'd treat your crush, you were happy not to think about it for a while.

The director yelled cut and your dad breathes out deep brushing his hair back. He turned to you, fake blood everywhere and suit disheveled. He winked and smiled.

It was heartwarming too. He made you feel safe. Loved. Protected. Like you could just be carefree and make mistakes and he'd be there to save you. You actually were hoping he'd keep this method thing up. Nick Lowell wasn't so bad at all.