During Artifact

It was six in the morning and she already heard the anger in his voice down stairs. The sun was barely rising over LA when Gregan got out of bed and threw on one of her fathers flannels over her nightgown. She tip toed out of her room and sat at the top of the stairs just behind the wall above the studio and living room so her father wouldn’t see her. 

Jared did his best to shield her from the situation, it was part that he didn’t want her to worry and part that he didn’t want her to see him in a time when he thought he failed. He put his head in his hand holding his phone with the other in silence listening to the man on the other end. It was worse than he thought. Way worse.

Gregan had never seen her father like this before, so unsure and without his usual confidence. She felt an urge deep down in her stomach to run to him and throw the phone across the room and just hug him. But the practical part held her back, she knew he got more upset when business was interrupted. His voice started t raise and match the person on the other end of the line. He got up and started pacing back and forth taking moments to pause and breath out looking over LA. She hated how life had been lately. It wasn’t the usual happiness that she had always known. Her father was distant and distracted by work more than usual. she wanted his attention for herself and to help him.

To hell with it, Gregan thought, he’d never get mad at her for interrupting. She stood up revealing herself and quickly and as quietly as possible made her way down the stairs. Jared heard her bare feet pattering across the tile and turned to face her Gregan stopped in her tracks when she saw his face. He was tense and angry and the veins under his eyes told her he hadn’t slept. But once she stopped and he fully took in her sight, his eyes grew a bit more tender. His face stopped showing his anger and started showing his exhaustion. He opened his mouth to say something but it was like an invisible force stopped him. 

His daughter ran up to him and wrapped her arms around his waist taking him in her tiny hug. She could tell he was weak because he almost fell back when she collided with him. He let out a small relieved sigh before taking her hand and leading her over to the couch. He sat down and leaned his head back still listening on the phone as she cuddled next to him. She intertwined her arms with his and rested her chin on his shoulder while throwing her feet across his legs. Jared could tell she wasn’t acting her usual self either. But there was nothing he could do about it now with his head scattered besides hold her close.

Gregan wanted to protest and speak up against the person now yelling at her father but when she looked up at him he shot her a stern look, always knowing what his little girl was thinking. She listened for what seemed like forever before Jared finally threw the phone down at his side on the couch. He didn’t say a word, just wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her onto his lap and cuddled her next to him. Gregan could feel his heart pounding and didn’t know how else to help beside rest her cheek against his chest. 

……….

“I just want to feel good” Jared said, laughing nervously. The camera crew was crowding around them. Jared had his daughter playing off to the side, not wanting her on camera for these moments and when she didn’t have to be.

Shannon took a moment to think, wondering of what to say to guide his little brother. No matter how old they got Shannon wanted to protect him, and Jared wanted to be protected. But still Shannon was just as exhausted as his brother and everyone else in this lawsuit debacle. 

“This whole thing doesn’t feel good. It’s not supposed to feel good, this whole thing” Shannon started to animate his words with his hands, a habit Jared had as well, both inherited from their mother. “You’ve got the unstable client, you’ve got the unstable EMI. It’s all unstable” Shannon’s intent was to talk and make Jared feel better, but it became clear after a while that he was also speaking for himself. “ So there’s no feeling that’s gonna be attached to like ‘oh’. You’ve got the album we’re doing, everything here is a little unstable”.