Chapter 7

I looked out the window as people started to arrive. I recognized some of the people because my dad and I used to listen to their music. One by one cars pulled up, some of the guests were Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, Celine Dion, Martina Mcbride, Faith Hill, and George Strait (keep in mind this is 1991) As Victoria finished my hair Reba poked her head in and asked if I was ready. I nodded. She told me to wait at the top of the stairs then she and Narvel would announce me. Reba quickly left to tell Narvel I was ready. I stood at the top of the stairs and smoothed down my dress. I shook with nervousness and excitement. Just then Narvel tapped his wine glass with a fork to get everyone's attention. "Welcome friends and family" he said. "We are so pleased y'all could come out tonight," Reba said "to help us welcome a new member to our family, Miss Emily Thomas, come on down honey" she called. As I started walking downstairs, people were clapping politely, but I saw different emotions on their faces. I saw Martina Mcbride with a look that would make anyone turn away. Loretta Lynn looked nice and inviting and Celine Dion just looked bored. All these looks got me distracted so I tripped on the last step. Some people just chuckled. I blushed horribly but went right next Reba for protection. She took me around from place to place introducing me. The first person we came to was Miss Dolly Parton. "Hey there," she said "so great I finally get to meet you" and gave me a hug. "It's nice to meet you too," I said "I love your music." "Why thank you darlin," she said with a big smile " well you got lots of people to meet so I'll talk to ya later" and gave a wave goodbye.