THREE

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

THREE; BASICS FOR BEGINNERS

     DRACO AND STELLA'S hands clasped together as they stood outside of Snape's classroom. Goyle was chatting about his events over the summer, although many of the Slytherins were barely listening. Stella spotted Harry approaching, and smiled at him. Draco's back tensed in jealousy.

     "First Potions class of the year," Stella noted, glancing at the side of her boyfriend's face. So far, they made it through one class without bickering. Blaise was calling it a new relationship record.

     Draco skipped past the normal conversation. "Was thinking of buying you a new dress, my love. Sound nice?"

     Stella raised an eyebrow. "Are you trying to drown me in presents this year? You know how I feel about you wasting money on me, Draco. I'm completely fine with what I have."

     The dungeon doors of Snape's classroom opened. Students began filing in, and Stella took her normal spot next to Draco and Blaise. Draco's hand was still holding hers tightly.

     "Settle down." Snape's tone was sharp and cutting, and Stella didn't miss any part of it over the summer. "Before we begin today's lesson, I think it's appropriate to remind you that next June you will be sitting an important examination, during which you will prove how much you have learned about the composition and use of magical potions. Moronic though some of this class undoubtedly are, I expect you to scrape an 'Acceptable' in your O.W.L., or suffer my," he paused, staring at the students in front of him. "Displeasure."

     Stella rolled her eyes. Potions wasn't a difficult class she had to worry about, but she knew some of the Gryffindors were frightened of Snape's wrath.

     "After this year, of course, many of you will cease studying with me. I take only the very best into my N.E.W.T. Potions class, which means that some of us will certainly be saying goodbye."

     Snape's threat was clearly directed towards Harry, and the teacher received nothing but a cold glare.

     "But we have another year to go before that happy moment of farewell." Snape's tone loosened. "So whether you are intending to attempt N.E.W.T. or not, I advise all of you to concentrate your efforts upon maintaining the high-pass level I have come to expect from my O.W.L. students."

     Snape immediately assigned the class with the task of making a difficult potion in a short amount of time. Stella started getting to work while Draco watched her in admiration. Blaise flicked his ear and demanded for him to start.

     Snape was walking around the classroom to check the progress of the students and criticize their work, although most of the critiques were handed to Gryffindors. In particular, Snape's favorite victim came to light.

     "Potter, what is this supposed to be?"

     Stella's fellow house members were snickering. They always loved a good show of Snape taunting Harry.

     "The Draught of Peace," replied Harry. Stella could hear the bitterness laced in his voice.

     "Tell me, Potter," Snape continued to press. "Can you read?"