SIX

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

SIX; A NEW TEACHER

     WHEN STELLA PLOPPED down in the seat next to Ron in Defense, her brother jumped five feet in the air.

     "El!" He exclaimed in surprise. "What are you doing sitting here?"

     She frowned. "I wanted to sit next to my brother. Is that such a crime, Ronald?" She rolled her eyes at Ron's dumbfounded expression.

     His eyes trailed to Draco, who was sulking in his seat as Blaise continued to chatter next to him. "So, it's true then? You've actually ended things with Malfoy?"

     "It's just a break, Ron," she sighed. "Nothing more than that. We came to a mutual agreement. I realized that I barely know anything about my family anymore. So how are you?"

     Ron opened his mouth to response until Umbridge raised her voice to silence the class. "Wands away," she instructed, and Stella frowned before shoving her wand into her bag. "As we finished chapter one last lesson, I would like you all to turn to page nineteen today and commence chapter two, 'Common Defensive Theories and Their Derivation.' There will be no need to talk."

     Stella narrowed her eyes but opened her book, beginning to read the most boring chapter ever. Ron nudged his sister's side and motioned to Hermione, her hand raised high in the air.

     Instead of answering her in front of the whole class, Umbridge walked over and leaned down.

     "What is it this time, Miss Granger?"

     "I've already read chapter two," Hermione replied.

     "Well then, proceed to chapter three."

     "I've read that too. I've read the whole book."

     Stella smirked as Umbridge tried to think of a response. "Well, then, you should be able to tell me what Slinkhard says about counterjinxes in chapter fifteen."

     "He says that counterjinxes are improperly named," Hermione answered quickly. "He says 'counterjinx' is just a name people give their jinxes when they want to make them sound more acceptable."

     Stella smiled proudly, and she could tell Umbridge was impressed her Hermione's knowledge.

     "But I disagree," Hermione continued.

     "You disagree?" Umbridge clarified, raising an eyebrow.

     "Yes, I do. Mr. Slinkhard doesn't like jinxes, does he? But I think they can be very useful when they're used defensively."

     "Oh, you do, do you?" Umbridge spoke in a louder tone. "Well, I'm afraid it is Mr. Slinkhard's opinion, and not yours, that matters within this classroom, Miss Granger."

     "But-"

     "That is enough," Umbridge interrupted. She walked back up to the front of the class. "Miss Granger, I am going to take five points from Gryffindor House."

     All of the Gryffindors began muttering in disagreement. "What for?" Harry spoke up in an angry tone.

     "Don't you get involved!" Hermione whispered.