FIVE

❖ ❖ ❖ ❖ ❖

FIVE; FAMILY OPPOSITIONS

     STELLA HEARD HER boyfriend before she saw him. She should've known that Draco would already be out on the field before she was to ensure she wouldn't hear the foul insults that left his mouth. Her eyes narrowed and she slowly felt her temper rise.

     She took way longer than normal to get ready for the day, which was due to the fact that another letter came in from St. Mungo's. The Healers had written that her mother was showing very positive signs, and a visit from Stella would probably lift her spirits. Stella crumpled the parchment up and stuffed it in the pocket of her robes, guilt rising in her stomach.

     Molly had once explained the light she saw in Alia — something so beautiful and rare that she was disappointed when Alia allowed Ian to encompass her with darkness. However, Molly assured Stella that underneath the hard exterior she put forward in front of all those Death Eaters, she was still the joyous Hufflepuff everyone knew and loved. She only disguised herself in order to protect Ian, who she fought for relentlessly.

     Although Stella knew all of this, she couldn't find herself taking another trip down to St. Mungo's. How could she possibly stare at this woman who gave birth to her and pretend like she was going to make a full recovery? Alia was so far from the photos Molly showed her, and Stella did not want to remember her mother this way. She liked to think of Alia as that ball of sunshine everyone adored. She couldn't imagine her mother agreeing to become a selfish Death Eater just because her father wished to take that path in life.

     Deep down, Stella knew she was a filthy liar. She knew she would do anything and everything to save Draco.

     "What's that Weasley's riding?" Stella heard her boyfriend shout. "Why would anyone put a Flying Charm on a moldy old log like that?"

     She took personal offense to his insult. Despite her parents not earning much money, they made up for what they could with love. She admired the fact that her mother would stay up for hours just to listen to her problems — it was these little things that most children never received, and Stella was lucky to be blessed with her redheaded bunch.

     After Draco, Pansy, Crabbe and Goyle began laughing at Ron when he took a harsh fall to the ground, Stella grabbed Draco's robes and tugged him from the bench.

     "Ooh," Crabbe and Goyle chorused, watching as Draco got dragged away by a very angry Stella.

     "Ow, ow, ow. My love, you're hurting me."

     She released her hold on him and pushed him away once they were out of earshot. "Oh, you don't even know what real pain is, Draco! How dare you say that to my brother! I will have you know that Ron is better at Quidditch on that old broom than you will ever be. Honestly, Draco, I don't understand why I continue to be with you when all you do is slander my family. You never even listen to a word I say."

     A flash of panic soared through Draco's eyes. The simple thought of Stella breaking up with him was much too painful to bear. She was the only one he could confide him, the only one who understood him through and through.

     "My love, please, let's not make any quick decisions. I'm sorry. I know that I offended your family by saying those things to Weasley, and I certainly had no place. Your mum and dad work very hard to keep you happy, and that knowledge alone makes me the happiest man in the world."